Lady Gaga: the greatest comeback of 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Lady Gaga has been slowly resurfacing into the pop culture scene over the course of the last year and it seems now she has fully emerged into a similar but better version of her old powerhouse self. While most of us would still be reeling from a broken-off engagement with someone as gorgeous as Taylor Kinney, she is out there showing us how you can win breakups and get your career back. Well, her strategy might not be as plausible for the rest of us but it’s a great inspiration! 

Gaga started creeping back into the spotlight last year when she released a cover of Cheek to Cheek with Tony Bennett, which earned a Grammy. And then she released Til it Happens to You for The Hunting Ground documentary and not to mention wowing us all during the 2015 Oscars, but these were all isolated and sporadic appearances. She didn’t seem to fully return until recently. As both of the previous accomplishments were pre-breakup Gaga, it’s clear that her momentum has not slowed since and arguably has even accelerated since the breakup in July. Joanne, her first real album since 2014, just dropped on October 21 and has not disappointed fans and critics thus far, as compared to her last album, ARTPOP

In fact, it seems almost suddenly, especially after the release of Joanne, the Mother Monster has reclaimed her icon status and surpassed expectations. It doesn’t seem to be a coincidence when you look at the timing. To highlight some of her astonishing recent accomplishments: Joanne, climbed to number one on the top 100 chart and she was announced as this year’s superbowl halftime performance. So her progress doesn’t seem to be slowing any time soon. Although, her first single Perfect Illusion narrowly missed the top 10, that isn’t to say there won’t be more powerful hits to come from the star. 

Her startling return to the spotlight and cultural phenomenon status is especially unexpected after her last attempt at an album was considerably underwhelming in both sales and critical reception. However, it appears Gaga is back for good, after killing her performance on SNL and returning for another year on American Horror story. To continue this wild streak of success and innovation, she also recently started a promotion for her “dive bar tour” where she plans to randomly pop up in small bars across the country to hang out and sing with regular people. So, basically, she just became the coolest celebrity and performer of all time. 

Though none of us can exactly follow in Gaga’s footsteps, she sets a fantastic example for any girl wondering whether she can bounce back after a breakup. 

Elena Clark

Kent State

I am an ambitious, hardworking Honors Fashion Merchandising student with a minor in Public Relations at Kent State University. I am also a peer tutor at the Kent State Writing Commons and a member of Phi Mu Fraternity. I plan to pursue a career in Fashion Journalism once I graduate.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.