This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

This part of the semester can feel like a slump. With final projects and exams looming and the weather getting colder, wanting a break is not uncommon. In a whirlwind of decisions made over FaceTime, I recently decided I was going to get out of Ohio to visit my best friend in Los Angeles for the weekend, and it was one of the best ideas I have had.

I woke up for an early flight to California, ready to take on the weekend. Once I arrived at my friend’s dorm in LA, we tried to plan our next couple of days together, something that proved to be very difficult. Following are the highlights from the weekend, some of my favorite spots and things to visit in LA.

The Getty Center

This free gem is an art museum located in a fantastic spot to look out over the city. Izzy and I brought food from Trader Joe’s to picnic here, making for a perfect afternoon. We also found super cute, unique earrings in the gift shop. (Score!)

Santa Monica

One of the best spots around the LA area is Santa Monica. Between walking the promenade, to getting some great food, to exploring the pier, there is sure to be something for everyone! Because the weather was perfect, we walked all the way from Santa Monica to Venice along the ocean. What better view could you ask for?

Abbot Kinney Boulevard

Being a fashion major, it is no surprise that I enjoyed window shopping at all of the trendy shops along Abbot Kinney. Iz and I found a new favorite store along this stretch with the cutest trinkets and clothes called Burro. If you find yourself in the area, definitely check it out!

ChaCha Matcha

Two of my favorite things in one photo: Iz and matcha! I’m obsessed with this green drink, so I obviously had to order a matcha latte when we stumbled across this small chain. ChaCha Matcha has locations on both coasts, serving up various iterations of drinks using the fine green matcha powder. A few orders worth trying: classic matcha latte, matcha lemonade or matcha soft serve.

Din Tai Fung

Meeting all of Izzy’s friends from school was super fun, but it was even better meeting them over amazing food! We ordered a delicious spread of dumplings and soup from Din Tai Fung at Century City. What better way is there to bond than with food?

Los Liones Trail 

A trip to LA is not complete without a hike. Iz and I hiked the Los Liones trail and the view from the top was incredible. Although the haze made it tough to see too far away, the ocean and city were still fairly visible. The best part of the hike, however, was the two donkeys we saw on their way up the mountain!

LA is such an incredible city. Each time I visit, there is more food to try, more trails to hike and more sights to see. My little vacation to the coast was much needed before facing the snow and final season back in Ohio. Now that I am on campus again, it’s back to real life. But in the meantime, I will use these photos and memories to get me through the rest of the semester. Until next time, LA!

Paige Sammons

Kent State '22

Paige is a sophomore student at Kent State University studying fashion design and minoring in accessories. When not writing, you can find Paige baking, painting, or sewing. She loves the environment, catching up with friends at coffee shops and caring for her cactus, Clarence.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.