Kendall Becker: A Magazine Editor in Chief

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Meet the fashion forward Editor-in-Chief of A Magazine, Kendall Becker! Kendall spent her summer interning for Nylon magazine in New York City and learned all about fashion in the real world. Her Campus sat down to talk with her all about her experiences in fashion, her role at A Magazine and her future career goals. Check out the full interview below!

Her Campus: Tell us all about your summer interning with Nylon!

Kendall Becker: Interning at Nylon was a dream! I worked in the print editorial department, so all my tasks were focused on the production of the print issues. I learned so much from everyone in the various departments, met incredible people and even had the opportunity to write for their September issue.

HC: What would you say is the biggest thing you learned while working for Nylon?

KB: Collaboration is key. With so many integral parts, the magazine cannot run smoothly unless everyone is focused, meeting deadlines and communicating.

HC: What was your favorite part about spending the summer in NYC?

KB: Ever since binging Gossip Girl and Sex and the City back in high school, living in NYC was a goal of mine. You’re literally surrounded by fashion at all times. What could be better than that?! There’s also a million and one things to do no matter your interest, so it’s just about impossible to be bored.

HC: What would you say was the most memorable part of your summer. You seemed to be doing some amazing things!

KB: The most memorable part of my summer was definitely attending the CFDA’s! I still can’t believe I was in the same room as these fashion legends and listening to Anna Wintour speak.

HC: Tell us about your involvement with A Magazine

KB: A Magazine has probably been the biggest influence on where I’m at today. I started as a web writer my sophomore year and have been promoted every semester since to reach Editor-in-Chief. I’ve always loved fashion magazines, but A materialized that into something attainable for me. We’ve already started planning a lot of really exciting events and content for this semester, so keep an eye out for updates!

HC: What did you do to prepare for your upcoming role as Editor-in-Chief?

KB: My internships and past roles within A have really prepared me to understand just how each department functions best together. It’s so important to know how every department of a magazine works, not just your own. I also, of course, binge read countless magazines cover to cover for inspiration.

HC: What would you say is the most beneficial part of being involved with A Magazine?

KB: You really get a better understanding of publishing as a whole. It allows you to dabble in different roles and find your strengths. A is a great place to explore your creativity without having to stick to strict guidelines. We’re all about having fun and pushing the envelope.

HC: Are you a part of any other fashion organizations here at Kent?

KB: I used to be a part of FSO! It was a great way to be introduced to the world of fashion at Kent State and meet new people.

HC: What advice would you give other women interested in making a name for themselves in fashion?

KB: Be fearless. You always see these girls out there, whether it’s on Instagram or LinkedIn, doing amazing things and think that there’s no way it could be you, but it can. Being passionate and determined goes a long way, and people definitely recognize that. One of my favorite quotes right now is, “Empowered women empower women.” Girl power is unstoppable.

HC: What would be your absolute dream job?

KB: I’ve always dreamt of being a fashion editor. I was one of those crazy people who watched The Devil Wears Prada and was inspired to work harder instead of be afraid of the industry. I’m hoping to go the fashion market route and live in New York or Europe.

Follow Kendall on social media:

Twitter: @kendallbecker_

Instagram: @kendall_becker

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kendall.becker95

Senior at Kent State | Victoria's Secret PINK Campus Rep
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.