Kelly Cunningham on starting her own organization and saving the world

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Name: Kelly Cunningham

Year: Sophomore

Major/minor(s): Fashion Merchandising, Art History

Hometown: Cincinnati, OH

Favorite flavor of ice cream: Black raspberry chip

Astrological Sign: Libra

Kelly Cunningham is a sophomore Fashion Merchandising student at Kent State University who has a passion for saving the planet. Kelly has taken her two loves, fashion and sustainability, to start her very own club here at Kent, KSU Global Fashion Citizens. This club upholds its commitment to fighting and advocating for social, environmental and economic biases in the fashion industry through events and fundraising opportunities. Kelly Cunningham is making her mark on the fashion industry one small step at a time.

Her Campus: How did you get the idea to start Global Fashion Citizens? Why?

Kelly Cunningham: The club was started after I saw the documentary “The True Cost.” It broke me and brought me to tears. After that, I spent an entire summer researching problems like this in the fashion industry. When I got to Kent, I noticed there was no sustainability fashion organization. I saw a void and a need for it and I filled it. I feel like its my moral duty to tell people about what really goes on in the [fashion] industry.

HC: What do you hope to accomplish with GFC?

KC: Our goals are to educate our fellow fashion students on the negative environmental and human rights impacts that the fashion industry has on the world. We talk about everything from politics to purses and how two seemly different things are very related. Through having these discussions and bringing up these topics, we inspire our peers to apply what they have learned to their own life. The main goal is that they will leave every meeting or event a more informed consumer.

HC: What type of events do you hold with GFC and how can more people get involved?

KC: We host about 3 to 4 Clothing Swaps a year. We host documentary showings twice a year. We have monthly meetings that include presentations on various topics related to sustainability and new eco-friendly innovations in the industry. We take trips to thrift stores. We have local designers come in and speak as well. At the end of the year, we host what is called a “Fash-Mob” which is a cross between a fashion show and a flash mob. Everyone in the group gets together in a location on campus, and we wear either 100% thrifted or up-cycled outfits. We hold signs and protest fast fashion companies like H&M, Forever21 and Old Navy. We let people come up to us and ask us anything they want to know. We take pictures, and spread the word. The whole point of it is to show people that sustainable or eco-friendly clothing can be fashionable, cool and trendy.

HC: How are you, Kelly Cunningham, going to make an impact to change the world?

KC: I’m going to change the world by changing the way clothing is sourced and/or produced. There are so many other options and I guess I’m confused why the industry isn’t primarily utilizing it. Recycled fibers, biodegradable fibers, and organic fibers should be the main building blocks on which our clothing is made. I want to be in this industry to make sure we are moving toward smarter and more eco-friendly practices. There is no reason why mother earth should be taken advantage of just so a consumer can have a trendy jacket for a short period of time.

HC: Why do you think sustainability is so important in the fashion industry?

KC: Because people still have to ask me that question. Sustainability is defined as: “Avoidance of the depletion of natural resources in order to maintain an ecological balance.” If our environment goes, so do we. Human rights are being taken advantage of just so a company can make a profit. When a company commits to being sustainable and transparent, they are empowering the consumer and saying “I respect you, I would never want you to mindlessly buy from me. I want you to know where your clothing comes from because I respect you.” You have to respect the people buying your clothing. You have to think about your clothing. Just give a damn. Its not that hard.

Kelly and friends at a GFC Clothing Swap!

HC: What are some sustainable brands or companies that you would recommend checking out?

KC: Well, I’m a poor college student, so I’m a huge fan of Goodwill and going to clothing swaps. I also love borrowing my friend’s clothing, especially if it’s for a special event. My two favorite companies are Patagonia and Everlane. Everlane makes high-end minimalist pieces, and when I have a steady income, I am going to definitely show them some love. Also check out The Deep End Club, One Love Yoga Boutique in downtown Kent and Esperanza Threads in Cleveland.

HC: What or who is your style inspiration?

KC: I have probably worn a pair of high waisted dark wash jeans, black boots, a band t-shirt and a jean jacket almost every day of my life for the last 4 years. Not kidding. Its my uniform. Makeup wise, I only use concealer, mascara, a smidge of glitter on my inner eye and a spritz of rose water. Cruelty-free of course. Also, Reformation’s collaboration with HAIM was one the the best things I’ve ever seen in my life.

HC: Besides being a total #girlboss and running your own organization, what else are you involved in?

KC: I am the Community Service Director for my women’s fraternity, Chi Omega. I am also a campus manager for University Tees. I always tell my customers that if they decide to choose the sustainable t-shirt option, I will give up my commission for them. In the summers, I work at Charming Charlie back home, to gain even more sales experience. On top of all of that, I am a member of the Kent State Democrats and I actually designed their shirts! I believe I will be attending the climate march with them in April!

HC: What is your dream job?

KC: I don’t share what my specific dream job would be, because fashion students are competitive, and knowing them, one of them would read this and apply for the job, just to add to the competition (meow, right?) I’ll tell you what my dream job is when I get it! 

HC: What is your favorite quote?

KC: So there’s a woman, and she is terrified of heights. One day, her office building starts to burn down. Everyone else is running down the fire exit to safety, but she is so scared of heights, that she decides to stay underneath of her desk, and except her fate, which would be… death. 

A fire fighter is searching through the office building, and finds her hiding. “What are you doing? Get out!” He yells at her. She replies: “I can’t! I’m scared of heights!” The fire fighter picks her up, carries her on his shoulders, and starts to run toward the fire exit. 

The whole time she is screaming: “Put me down! I’m scared of heights!” The fire fighter looks at her and says: “Its okay if you’re scared, do it scared.” And that is the mantra that the woman kept repeating to herself as the fire fighter brought her to safety. 

So I think that is my favorite quote, because we often don’t do things because we are scared what other people will think of us. In doing that, we miss out on the immense pleasure of living life. “Its okay if you’re scared, do it scared.” Really changed the way I operate.

Instargram: @kell_hathnofury, @kent_gfc

Twitter: @kell_hathnofury, @kent_gfc

Sammy Pesick is a Senior Fashion Merchandising major at Kent State University with minors in Fashion Media and Marketing. She has a passion for food and a weakness for designer purses while polka dots are her aesthetic. Sammy is currently the President and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Kent State where she strives to share her love of Her Campus with the Kent State community.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.