Hiking Mountain Happy Smile Girl Nature Vacation Adventure
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Wellness

How I Keep My Hair Long and Healthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

I have never been the best at taking care of my hair. Over the years, I have dyed it numerous times and I have tied it back so much from sports that it had left my hair extremely dry and damaged. In the past, I did not like the way my hair looked.

When I saw other girls who had hair that they took care of significantly, I realized how grateful I am for my body to give me beautiful, long and thick hair in the first place. So, recently I have been showing my hair a lot more respect and it has made my hair longer and healthier in the long run. Here are some tips and tricks I use to do this.

1. using a satin or silk pillowcase

slip silk
Sephora

Using a satin pillow case does not hold as much bacteria as a cotton pillow case can! So, it can help you have less acne on your skin, but it can also keep your hair in a nice condition as well, making you hair have significantly less hair breakage and frizz. They are not too expensive either and keeps my hair hydrated and silky!

2. Washing my hair every other day

Washing your hair everyday can cause your hair to be dry, brittle and irritated. So, I wash my hair every other day to keep it clean, but to also give my hair a well needed break. It is healthier for my hair type to wait a day or two to wash my hair.

My Shower and Bath Playlist <3

3. A Second layer of conditioner

For me personally, I will use shampoo and scrub that all throughout my scalp and then I would add conditioner starting where I would tie a low ponytail/the nape of my neck. I will let that sit for a few minutes, then I would rinse it out. Usually after, my hair feels super dry, so I add a second layer of conditioner in the same area and immediately rinse that out. My hair feels immediately silkier and healthier after I do this.

4. no scrubbing my hair with a towel after a shower

Anybody’s hair is more susceptible to damage when it is wet. So, scrubbing your hair with a towel after a shower is a big no go. Instead, I wring my hair out with my hands and immediately put it in a hair turban to soak up the water on its own. Then, I let air drying do the rest of the work.

5. air drying is key

After I take my hair out of the hair turban, I let it air dry a bit more and then when it is damp, I will add any hair products I like to use and then I brush my hair. I like to use a Wet Brush, because it does not tug at my hair, leaving me to have significantly less split ends, hair loss or breakage.

wet brush
Walmart

6. hair products I use

Hair Food Hemp Extract & Manuka Honey Leave in Conditioner & Repair Serum, Repairing Product for Dry, Damaged Hair.

Kristin Ess Hair Weightless Shine Leave-In Conditioner Spray for Dry Damaged Hair, Detangler Spray, Softening + Strengthening, Moisture Sealing, Paraben and Phthalate Free.

TRESemmé Hair Care Pro Collection Keratin Repair Leave in Conditioner Treatment, Visibly Seals Split Ends, Tames Flyaways for Healthy Looking Hair.

7. Rarely using hot tools

I do not use hot tools a lot, only for special occasions since it can cause hair damage if it is used consistently. When I do use these tools though, I use a heat protectant spray on my hair to help protect it from any damage the hair tools can give.

Kristin Ess Style Assist Blow Dry Mist.

8. a low, loose braid at night

This depends on your hair type, but since my hair is longer and thicker, I always put my hair in a low, loose braid over the night to help keep moisture in my hair. It also helps my hair grow faster, by protecting new growth from breakage.

9. fabric ponytails, Hair ties and clips

Some ponytails can be way too tight on my hair, causing me to get headaches. It is no fun struggling to get out a ponytail that is tangled in your hair and ripping out some of your hair along with it. I have found lots of alternatives though, that keep my hair from being damaged if I want to pull it up!

Scrunchies

Spiral hair ties

Big claw clips

Goody Stretch Medium to Thick Seamless Hair Bands

10. No super tight hairstyles

Lastly, I try not to do super tight hairstyles, especially tight ponytails, because they can created balding spots and too much pulling can cause fraying and damage to hair follicles. I still do braids, ponytails and other hair styles, but just a lot looser.

Treat your hair with love and respect. It does not take a lot of time to give your hair a bit of the T.L.C that it needs. It will make you feel even happier and prouder to know that you share equal respect with your own hair just like the rest of your physical vessel. <3

Ella Katona

Kent State '26

Ella is a sophomore at Kent State University. She is a Journalism major and has minors in Environmental Studies and Creative Writing. Ella was born and raised in Pittsburgh and adores spending her time out in nature, reading, running and doing anything involving art.