neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Katie Justison: A look at the life of a transfer student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

College is a unique experience that seems to be both about the journey and the destination (that diploma, duh!) It’s no secret that the college life can come with it’s fair shares of ups and downs. But when the downs come more frequently than the ups, it might be time to make a change. The idea of transferring schools is a big and scary one. After all, you spent your entire Senior year of high school sifting through universities and exploring your options. But that doesn’t mean that your choice is final, or that you have to settle for anything less than true and utter happiness. Her Campus Kent State sat down with transfer student Katie Justison for a personal interview discussing her decision to transfer from The Ohio State University to Kent State.

First, here’s a few facts about Katie Justison (pictured above working on an assignment):

Age: 18

Major: Political Science and Applied Conflict Management

Class standing: Freshman (but she has enough credit to be considered a Sophomore, what a smart cookie!)

Relationship status: Taken by a lucky guy

Likes and interests: Politics, philosophy, shopping, riding horses and trying new flavors of ice cream

Her Campus: Leaving one university and starting at a new one is a BIG decision. When did you know that OSU wasn’t the place for you?

Katie Justison: There were a lot of little moments. The biggest one was when I went home over fall break and realized I had zero emotional attachment to OSU. I would have been totally fine with never going back there. There were times when I would feel so sick and upset being there, I came to realize that there was no reason to put myself through all those negative emotions.

HC: How did you come to the decision to leave your previous school?

KJ:  It came down to looking at myself and where I was. I was in a really toxic environment for my personal growth. I know college is supposed to involve changing a lot, but I didn’t feel like myself. I thought about if I really wanted to be there for another three and a half years and my answer was ‘absolutely not’.

HC: What brought you to Kent State?

KJ: I was visiting my boyfriend and one of my friends here. When I was walking around campus, It just felt more like the college atmosphere I was looking for. Once I looked into it academically and saw that it would be a good fit for my career goals, I felt like it would be a good decision for both my professional and my personal life.

HC: What advice do you have for students who are considering transferring?

KJ: Listen to yourself. Everyone is going to give you an opinion; some positive and some negative. In the end it comes down to you and your mental health. I understood going into college that it would be a difficult transition, but no one should have to deal with an abnormal amount of stress, anxiety and depression. That shouldn’t be your college experience and you can change it. Personally, I had to get over feeling like I was failing. It felt like I was giving up and falling back on something. You should do what makes you feel good. You can be your own worst enemy by letting negative opinions and the stigma get to you. I’m proof that you can do it (transfer) and be happier somewhere else. You also need to accept that nowhere is going to be immediately perfect, but things can definitely be better.

HC: You mentioned the “stigma” that comes with transfer students, can you elaborate?

KJ: I had a hard time with feeling like I wasn’t strong enough or good enough, especially being an overachiever, I felt like I should just be able to adjust and enjoy myself. Then when I came here and I told everyone I just transferred here and they would ask why, I would just say “it wasn’t the place for me” and they would say “okay” and move on. It helped me to accept that I wasn’t weak just because OSU wasn’t the place for me. Leaving is hard, but once you get to the new place it doesn’t seem like such a big deal anymore!

HC: You’ve been through your first week of classes now! How are you feeling? What is your semester looking like?

KJ: I’m feeling really good! The one week here has been easier and more comfortable than my entire first semester. I am excited for all my classes, especially my ethics class. I am a little worried about geography, because I am terrible at science.

HC: How do you plan on getting involved at KSU?

KJ: Well, I am already on our Hall Council. Honestly most of the stuff I want to get involved in will have to wait till next fall. But I already have a list of stuff I want to do!

HC: Now you have to tell me what’s on the list!

KJ: Some political activist groups, I want to devout time to that because of my major. I’m definitely joining the equestrian team. For real! You can take riding lessons! I would love to try out Greek life too.

HC: So far, what has your favorite experience been at KSU?

KJ: I think just the feeling of really being welcome in the residence halls. Even if I’m just going to brush my teeth, there are always people willing to chat with you.

HC: After your experience at your previous university, what have you learned about friendship and reaching out to people?

KJ: I have learned that friendships take time. I need to work on not putting a ton of pressure on myself to make friends within the first week. Meet people you like and are comfortable with, and then give it time, and eventually those friendships will blossom. I found myself getting upset that I didn’t have a lot of friends and getting upset about being left out of things, but then I realized that they weren’t even the type of people I wanted to be friends with. So don’t feel pressure to be friends with the wrong group of people just because you want to feel included.

HC: How has your college experience changed you so far? What have you learned about yourself?

KJ: I guess I learned that being surrounded by good people helps you to grow. I have always been scared of change, so I learned that you have to push yourself through it and take a chance. It sounds really cheesy, but it’s the truth!

HC: What kind of work do you plan to do in your career? What topics are important to you?

KJ: I plan to go to Law School. Basically, I want to become a county prosecutor. I want to center my career around protecting women in domestic violence and working on their trials. I love the idea of building a career based on empowering women. Then eventually, I want to take everything I learned from being in the judicial system and move into state or local government.

New school, same coffee habits! But hey, how can get through syllabus week without a trip to Starbs? 

With this interview, Katie hopes to inspire other students who are not happy with their college experience. She hopes to serve as an example to those who are struggling and encourage them to take control of their situation and make a positive change.

Follow Katie on Social Media:

Instagram: @Katiejust11

Natalie Eusebio is a Public Relations major at Kent State University. She enjoys writing, reading, listening to musicals, and exploring Northeast Ohio When she is at home in Canfield, OH she likes to catch up with old friends and spend time snuggling her cats. On campus, you can find her in the Chi Omega house or studying at Starbucks. Her weaknesses include online shopping sprees and talking too fast. As a writer, Natalie hopes to both empower and entertain her audience. Natalie's future plans include advocating for those in need and finding employment with a PR firm somewhere out west.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.