Career

Jobs to Combine Your Love of Writing and Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

My whole life I always knew I loved two things; writing and fashion. I considered many different majors and career paths growing up but always found my way back to these two interests. Eventually, I knew I wanted to do something that combined the two, except I had no idea what exactly that would be. Fast forward to now, being a sophomore in college and actually having to start seriously considering different career paths and internships, I knew it was time to narrow in on some options. I began doing some research for jobs that would combine both fashion and writing and decided to share four of the ones I found below.

Fashion Editor

This is most likely the first job that comes to mind when someone mentions writing within the fashion industry. Icons like The Devil Wears Prada’s Miranda Presley or real-life Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour have definitely helped elevate this career into the spotlight. The title of fashion editor is both glamorous and time-consuming and is a status that has to be earned through hard work and years of experience within the industry. Their responsibilities mainly include overseeing, creating, planning and presenting content for fashion-specific magazines. They may also oversee photoshoots, websites, newspaper sections or even television shows to make sure the entire project comes together perfectly.

Fashion Journalist

A common job within fashion journalism is a fashion writer who creates content for magazines, websites, newspapers and even radio. With magazines starting to expand their online presence, candidates with computer skills and social media knowledge are becoming more important as well. A fashion journalist may be required to attend fashion shows and conduct interviews with designers, celebrities and other important influencers in the industry in order to write their content.  

Creative Copywriter

Before this semester, I had no idea a copywriter was even a job and actually learned more about it in one of my classes here at Kent. A creative copywriter is responsible for writing product descriptions, and providing the words you see accompanying visuals in advertising. It is even possible for creative copywriters to focus in on just fashion as well. They may research fashion trends and network with industry professionals such as designers and photographers in order to write for a fashion brand or designer. A copywriter may also work for an existing agency or on a freelance basis if they choose.

Fashion Blogger

Many fashion bloggers are self-made successes, creating, editing and promoting content on their own blog page. You may even know of or have a favorite fashion blogger you enjoy following on social media for the latest trends. Many of the top fashion bloggers make their money from advertisements, sponsored content, marketing campaigns and can even receive free products from brands and designers. This job may be tricky to break into, but it is a great way to unleash a slew of creative ideas and passions as well as create a name for yourself in the industry.   

Amanda Vogt is a sophomore at Kent State University and is from the suburbs of Rochester New York. Her studies include a major in fashion merchandising as well as a minor in creative writing. She has always loved writing and used to spend her days in math and science class coming up with short stories instead of calculating numbers. She is also an avid lover of all things fashion and makeup related and has been interested in the industry ever since she was little. She hopes to live in a big city after college with an unhealthy amount of dogs.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.