Jamie Brian: A Teen Pilot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

The 19-year-old junior is an instrument rated pilot who volunteers with Civil Air Patrol.

Major: Global communication

Minor: Aviation weather

Hometown: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Her Campus: What inspired you to pursue aviation?

Jamie Brian: My dad used to fly, so he would tell me stories about it, and he showed me the airport he used to fly out of. Also, it seemed like one of those things I’ve always wanted to try.

Her Campus: How long have you been flying?

JB: I started when I was 15.

Her Campus: What is an instrument rated pilot?

JB: I can fly at night and in less than VFR conditions. VFR stands for visual flight rules. So, being an instrument rated pilot means I can fly more often. I don’t have to worry about the safety and concerns when it comes to just flying on visual stuff.

Her Campus: How long did it take you to become an instrument rated pilot?

JB: I got my private license when I was 17, and I got my instrument last summer.

Her Campus: What type of planes do you fly?

JB: Right now, I’m flying a Seasone 122. It’s just a little four-seater plane.

Her Campus: How long have you been volunteering with Civil Air Patrol?

JB: I just started in the summer. Right now, I’m just trying to get my training done because eventually I would like to fly search and rescue missions.

Her Campus: How do you plan on combining aviation with global communication?

JB: I’m looking at the Air Force, but I think that, even though I want to go that route, I can still use skills I learned in global communication. It has taught me a lot about communicating with different people. I think that’s an important skill that you can use anywhere.

Her Campus: What activities are you involved in on campus?

JB: Habitat for Humanity, UNICEF and Amnesty International

Her Campus: What are your hobbies?

JB: I enjoy playing guitar and ukulele. I like going on hikes and learning new languages. I’m pretty good at French, and I’m learning Chinese.

Her Campus: What’s your dream job?

JB: I would like to be a fighter pilot one day. I’m hoping to be an Air Force officer, if I can get in, I’ll go to flight school. I would like to fly an F 18 or an F 16. So, that’s just doing different missions for the Air Force.

Her Campus: What made you decide to come to Kent as opposed to going directly into the Air Force?

JB: To be an officer, you need a degree. I choose global communication because it’s something I’m passionate about. I’ve always enjoyed traveling and languages. I wanted to combine different interests.

Jillian Holness is a senior magazine journalism major. She enjoys buying too many lipsticks, thinking about brunch and daydreaming about staring in one of Rihanna's music videos.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.