Kristen Bryant-Bodies
Kristen Bryant-Bodies
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

It’s The Winter Season, But What Does That Mean For My Mental Heath?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Of course, the winter season is full of fun activities and holidays, but what about the less fun and talked about side of this season? Seasonal Affective Disorder or SAD is a type of depression that’s related to changes in seasons. Symptoms start in the fall and continue through the winter. Your energy is low and mood swings are intense.

It’s easy to just brush these feelings off as a seasonal funk, but it’s important to look for these symptoms, not only in yourself but in your friends. According to Mayo Clinic, your symptoms can include:

• Feeling depressed most of the day, nearly every day
  • Losing interest in activities you once enjoyed
  • Having low energy
  • Having problems with sleeping
  • Experiencing changes in your appetite or weight
  • Feeling sluggish or agitated
  • Having difficulty concentrating
  • Feeling hopeless, worthless or guilty
  • Having frequent thoughts of death or suicide

If you spot these symptoms in yourself or in a friend, it can feel overwhelming to address it. Take a non-confrontational approach and keep in mind that SAD is a normal thing to experience. Treatments for SAD include things like psychotherapy, medication or even light therapy in some cases.

Okay, so now that you’ve been educated on SAD, you’ve learned what do to for treatments, and now it’s time to talk about managing it. SAD can make you feel distant from yourself and the world around you. Take the time to ground yourself in any way that makes the most sense to you. Whether that be through meditation, taking time to yourself to do what you love, spend quality time with your friends (maybe with your phone off).

Take care of yourself this winter season and check on your friends!

Kayla Tyler

Kent State '21

My name is Kayla Tyler and I'm currently studying Managerial Marketing at Kent State University. In addition to serving as a HerCampus writer for the Kent State Chapter I work for Red Bull, and I'm the Apparel Chairwoman for my sorority Phi Mu. I decided to write for HerCampus thanks to my background in attending an all girls high school; it was there where my passion for the female empowerment movement first began. I account that institution and those girls to the woman that I am today. My interests of topic might range from fashion to mental health issues, but the overarching theme is always to have women help other women.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.