It doesn’t matter if we want kids or not

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Yes, another point of view from a millennial, but please try to understand it from our perspective. Most millennials did not go to a four year university just to settle down with kids directly after. Even if we have been with our significant other since high school, or have lasted since freshman year of college don’t push for an engagement or a child anytime in our future. We don’t pressure you.

It doesn’t matter if we want kids or not. Why shame people and look down on mostly millenials for wanting a dog rather than a child? Is it really that disappointing that people would rather learn how to take care of an animal than a human first to see if it’s manageable? I’m not saying dogs and kids are the same thing either but I’m saying a puppy will give you a small taste of responsibility and what it’s like to regularly feed, hold and care for another life.

Don’t shame young adults for wanting that puppy or wanting to take that career opportunity across the country. Why is that shameful? Why make young adults feel guilty for making that decision. Every person is entitled to their own opinion, maybe a young woman knows she won’t make a good mother based on her own general knowledge of herself. Or maybe a couple would rather adopt just on the known fact that there are plenty of babies in this world who need a loving and caring home.

Why does it matter if we have kids or not? This is the 21st century, we’re technology driven and innovative. Why do I need to be a Lulu Lemon wearing, mini van driving, soccer mom? The choice of whether to have a child or not is between two partners, society needs to stop pushing others to settle down. Life is short, millenials want the world, we want to dream big and chase the moon. This generation does grow up fast, we’re seeing that each and everyday. Millenials are more career driven, it’s a fact. The social stigma from society regarding when is the right time or when it’s too late to have a child is insulting. 

Our parents raised us to believe that we deserve the very best. How many times have you heard your mother or father say, “All I want is what’s best for you.” That’s how millenials view themselves now, as what’s best for them. Yes this can sometimes seem selfish, however, to some of us, a degree, a career, a social life and financial stability come before raising a family. Let people make the decision for themselves. It doesn’t matter if we want kids or not, that won’t stop us from doing exactly what we want to do, or how we’re going to do it. 

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.