This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Maggie Rose is a rising Musician, whose genre is what I would describe as a combination of country, soul, soft rock, and the blues. Maggie Rose does not try to fit into a certain genre, she just makes good music. She recently released a full album, each song has something different about it to make it unique. She also recorded this album live, which means her and all her band members were in room to record the songs all at once. Not many artists do this anymore!

It is hard not to sing along to her songs, especially at her shows. I have been to quite a few Maggie Rose concerts and they are always amazing. I have also had the pleasure to meet Maggie a few times, she is very down to earth and kind and she always remembers our names and talks to us for a little every time we see her. Not only is she incredibly kind but she is an amazing musician. I suggest you check out her latest album, “Change the Whole Thing.” You can follow this Spotify link to her album!

I am grateful that I had the opportunity to ask Maggie a few questions about herself and her music:

1.    If you could perform with any other singer, who would it be and why?

“I would have to say the Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin. There’s no doubt I would feel intimidated standing next to a legend like her, but the opportunity to elevate to her level would be invaluable. She was always such a force behind the microphone and I think all great modern singers know that she has set the bar.”

2.    What helped you to keep following your dreams during more difficult times?

“The most admirable part of dedication is the fact that it does not wane during hard times. The challenges artists deal with make them relatable if they have the bravery and creativity to use those moments as inspiration. I remind myself when there are dips that the path to success will be unpredictable and meandering, I just have to show up and deliver. I am so lucky to do what I love, and people spend their time and money to come to shows and feel that connection, so on my worst day, that is a responsibility I don’t take lightly.”

3.    What inspires you to write a lot of your songs? Are they all based on different personal life experiences?

“Every song for me has a different origin. Ideas come from the most unexpected places and I just need to be ready to receive them, even if it’s 3AM. I write it down or record a voice memo, it’s that easy and that hard! I think about the rapport that I have with the audience and try to reveal to them what I would to a close friend.”

4.    What is your creative process like?

“The creative process is never-ending. It’s about always being receptive to inspiration and never clocking out. It’s about making a lot of mistakes and taking many chances. I am lucky to work with people who are like family to me and am currently enjoying the intimacy that comes with collaborating with my closest of friends. I look at it as a process that never ends and always has a chance to evolve and that liberates me from unneeded pressure, I could put on myself.” 

Erica Dodson

Kent State '21

Erica is currently an Art Education major at Kent State University. She enjoys everything about art including, creating it, viewing art and learning the history behind art and the great artists of the past. Aside from art Erica enjoys many other things like makeup, fashion, writing, helping others, hiking, and dogs. Erica hopes to become an art teacher at a high school level upon graduating and not only help and inspire kids with their artwork, but with anything they might need to work through or talk about. Her high school art teacher and family friend inspired her to follow in her footsteps and be an art teacher and a supportive, helpful person overall.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.