Wellness > Health

Instagram Fitness Accounts are Posting At Home Workouts to do During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

With the current state of the world in this mass pandemic, Instagram fitness gurus are posting workouts that require minimal to no equipment in order to encourage people to stay home during this time.

Across the country, there have been mandatory shutdowns of all nonessential businesses, gyms, pilates and yoga studios, and recreational centers are included. These Instagram fitness accounts have reassured their followers that doesn’t mean they have to take a break from reaching their fitness goals. Fortunately, there are many workouts you can do just using your own bodyweight or household items most people have in their homes.

Using laundry detergent as a weight

The first fitness account I saw using a household item as a weight was Olivia Ostrom. She is a fitness blogger who posted a few videos showing how she was using laundry detergent in her lower body workouts.

She also posted a video using wine bottles as weights for a good upper body workout that you can see here!

These may not be ideal situations, but she reminded her followers that the current state of the world is very strange, and it is okay to be goofy and laugh at yourself at this time.

Using a backpack as weight

Another fitness influencer who showed how you can use a backpack as a weight for a lower body workout is Linn Lowes. She has posted many at-home workouts over the past couple weeks, many requiring no equipment, however, she recently posted one where she filled a backpack with books, put it on, and did a lower body workout with some added weight and resistance.

If you are feeling like you want to get in a bit of an exercise while you are stuck at home, a quick look at the #athomeworkouts on Instagram will give you thousands of different options, guaranteed to find one that works for you. It’s easy to lose motivation in a time like now, but even just a short 20-minute workout is something that can really boost your mood and make you feel much more accomplished. 

Natalie is a freshman fashion merchandising student with a double minor in marketing and fashion media at Kent State. At home in Springboro, Ohio she enjoys spending time with friends, family, and her dog, Maci. Her interests include fashion, beauty, lifestyle, dogs and much more! In high school, she danced and participated in her high school's choir and theater program. While her studies are very important to her, she does enjoy being involved in many clubs and organizations including the Fashion Student Organization, Modista, and of course Her Campus. She hopes to one day live in a big city working for a fashion magazine, and just generally doing what she loves.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.