This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

The iHeartRadio Music Awards were on Sunday, March 29. It was another Taylor Swift award show with her winning three awards and playing guitar for Madonna on stage.

Jamie Foxx was the host and created controversy when he made a joke about Bruce Jenner and his maybe “transition” to being a woman. That joke did not sit well with LGBTQ supporters. On a lighter note, there were calmer moments when short video interviews with various artists talking about their “journey” to success were shown. 

Justin Timberlake received the Innovator Award and gave a lengthy, heartfelt acceptance speech. He quoted Steve Jobs and Theodore Roosevelt and talked about growing up and being called names such as weird and different. At the end of the speech he talked about his family.

Lastly, you can’t have innovation without creation, so finally, I want to thank my best friend, my favorite collaborator — my wife, Jessica, who’s at home watching,” he said sweetly. “Honey, I can’t wait to see our greatest creation yet.” He continued: “Don’t worry, daddy’s heading home right now to innovate by learning how to change a poopy diaper and get my swaddle on.

Many artists from different genres took the stage to sing their latest singles. But Rihanna had the best performance of the night when she sang her newest hit song, “Bitch Better Have My Money.” While performing, she was wearing a giant green fur coat, knee-high boots, and had a full-scale replica helicopter looming behind.

And the winners are…

Best Lyrics“Blank Space” — Taylor Swift — WINNER

Hip Hop/R&B Song of the Year
“Don’t Tell ‘Em” — Jeremih featuring YG — WINNER

Best New Artist
Sam Smith — WINNER

Country Song of the Year“Burnin’ It Down” — Jason Aldean — WINNER

Best Fan Army
5SOSFAM — 5 Seconds of Summer — WINNER

Best Collaboration
“Bang Bang” — Jessie J, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj — WINNER

RenegadeBrantley Gilbert — WINNER

Dance Song of the Year“Summer” — Calvin Harris — WINNER

Alternative Rock Song of the Year
“Take Me to Church” — Hozier — WINNER

Song of the Year“Shake It Off” — Taylor Swift — WINNER

Artist of the Year
Taylor Swift — WINNER

Pop culture enthusiast, adventure seeker, lover of all things purple and an expert on Marilyn Monroe.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.