priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash
priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash

I went weeks without kissing my boyfriend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Props to those of you that can be separated from your significant others for a long period of time. Honestly, I couldn’t bare the fact of being separated from mine. He’s my best friend, and I love having him around, even if its for only five minutes in the day. I especially couldn’t bare the fact of not being able to touch, kiss, or anything else for a long period of time. I don’t understand how people manage their relationship with distance between one another. I really don’t, so props to those of you that do. However, my situation didn’t involve distance or separation. No, my boyfriend was by my side almost every day throughout these long weeks. So how was my situation even similar to this?

One word, four letters: MONO

I could not live my life like I normally would because of my enlarged spleen and elevated liver, which is the worst of the worst when it comes to mono. I could not eat solid foods, stress myself out, move or lift heavy items, or practically move in general because I had to relax and keep my body “well-rested” in order to heal. My life practically had no potential. All of the things I couldn’t do was what I did on a daily basis, so I was stuck. I couldn’t workout, eat delicious pizza, or fulfil my coffee addiction to its peak because they were considered bad for my body at the time. The only thing I could do was stay in bed with mono.

Trust me, I would have rather stayed in bed with my boyfriend, but I couldn’t without wanting to get close to him. I was a walking contagious virus. Mono is called the kissing disease because it’s a virus that passes through saliva, which is the reason why I couldn’t kiss him throughout this entire period of time. At first I thought a week or so wouldn’t be that bad, but at day four I lost my mind. Mono truly is the “Mr. Steal Your Girl” of viruses. The one thing in my life that I didn’t want to be separated from was what mono took from me. I can’t help but get close to him. He’s my best friend and I can’t function without him, but mono believes otherwise. You would not think a virus such as this could be considered a cock block, but it truly was.

Hah! Mono cock blocked my relationship.

I can understand why you may be thinking that I’m over exaggerating or that I’m just some lovesick girl, but you have to picture yourself in my shoes. I couldn’t kiss him because he would get sick. He couldn’t touch or hold me because I had excessive pains in my body. There was an invisible wall between us, and it couldn’t be broke down. If I learned anything from these long hellacious weeks, it was that I actually care about my best friend and need him. Although we were together but separated, I realized how much I care about my boyfriend. And I mean CARE about him. I may have gone insane because I couldn’t have him physically, but I realized how much he means to me emotionally. I guess there was something positive that came out of having this sickness, but I suggest not getting mono to see if your relationship has meaning. I would not want to see anyone else have to go weeks without kissing his or her significant other. It’s truly heart wrenching.

Shelbie studies journalism at Kent State University, while also concentrating in fashion media and writing. She’s a true coffee addict and enthusiast. You can easily find her at a local coffee shop or the campus library. Her career goals include working within the publishing industry, becoming a travel writer and voicing the voiceless in her work. She’s excited to work with Her Campus and see what’s in store for the Kent State chapter.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.