Style

I Went Thrifting on Instagram: My Favorite Shops and a Haul

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Shopping is an effective way to destress, but sometimes retail therapy proves to be more harmful than good. What some people fail to realize is that new clothing from big-name brands can fall under the umbrella of fast fashion. “Fast fashion” is a term for cheaply made clothing that is rapidly produced and sent to stores. This is a problem because these products are made using many unsustainable practices. One way to lessen your environmental impact is to start shopping second-hand. Thrift shopping is not only less monetarily expensive, but it also reduces your carbon footprint. In addition, this saves clothing from going to the landfill and further polluting our world. There are also other benefits of thrifting. For example, the typically lower prices, the ability to support small businesses and the availability of unique styles. 

Online shopping has only become more popular recently, but thrifting online is still less common. Apps like Depop certainly have their place in the market, but what if I told you that you likely already have the app in question on your phone? Instagram is a great place to find quality second-hand clothing items. Thrift pages on Instagram shop at their own local thrift stores, vetting the items for you. The pieces are then sold in an auction on their page. The items typically go for good prices and are very high quality. I love thrifting on Instagram because it is so convenient. Most thrift store trips are hit-or-miss, but these pages only sell the best-of-the-best finds. Next, I will share some of my favorite purchases and shout out the accounts I bought them from. 

woman in thrifted sweater (gray)
Original photo by Grace M Springer
The first item is a gray sweater from one of my favorite accounts @foundathomeco on Instagram. This sweater was a cozy addition to my winter wardrobe. 

woman in thrifted henley
Original photo by Grace M Springer

I love this super soft plaid henley! This item is another from @foundathomeco; it was also the first thing I ever bought on Instagram.

woman in thrifted sweater (white)
Original photo by Grace M Springer

Next up is another sweater, cutely named “Sprinkle Sweater” by the account @peachtreegoodsco. This has become a staple in my closet.

woman in thrifted dress
Original photo by Grace M Springer

Lastly, one of my newer purchases, this super cute pink dress from @macksthrift. I got this one in February specifically for the Valentine’s Day vibes, but it will definitely be loved this summer.

It is time to try Instagram thrifting for yourself! But I must warn you, once you start, it is hard to stop!

Grace Springer

Kent State '24

Grace is a Journalism Major and Media Advocacy Minor at Kent State University. She is interested in music and plays flute for the KSU Marching Band. Other clubs she is involved in are Sunrise Kent State and Tau Beta Sigma.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.