This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

I have been practicing tarot reading for three years now. Only during this last year, I have been more open to talk about it to other people. That is something absolutely crazy to me. Even though it is something that I am so passionate about, I was scared to open up, mostly because of the stereotypes and hate I could have received if they did not truly understand what tarot was.

I am here to tell you how tarot is stereotyped and perceived. But also what it actually is, a bit on how to do it and how it has become more normalized and popularized among our culture.

How is tarot Stereotyped and Perceived?

There is always the basic stereotype that there is an old woman who will tell you your future through a glass ball, which cannot be trusted or is “tacky”. From my experiences of hanging out with professional tarot readers, this is definitely not the case. Glass balls are not commonly used, and they are more of a myth at least to modern times now. Unless you are going to an overly crowded boardwalk or tourist trap, it is not going to be a scam.

With films, they do not always perceive it in the correct manner either; as a result, some people look at it negatively. I have read articles in the past saying that it has a “dark truth” and has “satanic tendencies,” like it is a cursed act to take part in. When in truth, they have only seen what they thought was real, based off of films.

A lot of scary films use Ouija boards in them. Sometimes, Ouija boards are mistaken to being in the same realm as tarot reading, where you are using it to talk to haunted spirits. This is not true; Ouija boards and tarot cards are two completely separate things. From stories I have heard, Ouija boards can be very dangerous if used, but unlike in the films, tarot is not dangerous. If you are not doing readings on other people against their knowledge, taking all information with 100% certainty, trying to spread gossip or anything similar, tarot reading is not going to do any harm to yourself or to others.

Well Then, What is it Actually?

Tarot is not something where you are finding “hidden knowledge” to disrupt your current course of action in the world. Tarot cards and tarot readings provide you with awareness to what you already know deep within yourself, that you may be mentally blocking. The cards do not simply tell you your future. It is meant to provide you with insight and advice into the innermost truths of your higher-self. You do not have to take in all of this information from your readings if you do not want to, it is just guidance.

You just need to remember that things can change. Your readings are just pinpointed with how you are feeling and what you are thinking at that point in time. Do not take all of the information in tarot card readings too seriously and get upset about them.

Also, a common misconception that holds many who want to start tarot reading back is that you have to be a psychic or a medium to do readings. No, this is not the case! Anyone, no matter who you are, can get a deck and start practicing.

In That Case, How do You do Tarot?

tarot Cards

In tarot, there are 22 cards in the Major Arcana, which hold bigger information and are more powerful, and 56 cards in the Minor Arcana, which are of the lesser. Minor Arcana are separated into four different suits, just like your average playing cards. These suits include the Cups, Swords, Wands and Pentacles. The Minor Arcana focus more on your daily aspects of life, giving you insight on opportunities, challenges, your talents and other obstacles you may be facing at that time.

Each suit represents an element: Cups are Water, Swords are Air, Wands are Fire and Pentacles are Earth.

Each suit represents a characteristic: Cups are emotions, Swords are actions, Wands are passions and Pentacles are physical attributes.

You can do dozens of different spreads with tarot, but the most common and easiest is past, present and future guidance. This is where you will only lay down three tarot cards after you shuffle them. The far left is past, the middle card is present and the far right is your future card. I personally like asking one question and doing mixed spreads with tarot, oracle, charms and scrabble pieces. With them, I see where they fly and land based on my shuffling technique.

When you look at the cards, you can see which way the people face one another, what their meanings are based on interpretation of the art you see and the meanings presented with the book the deck comes with.

If your tarot or oracle cards are “reversed”, which just means upside down, it simply means the significance of the card is present in your life, but its powers are weakened or blocked by something and you need to take action to make it back upright. Usually the cards will tell you how to do so.

My deck recommendations: Try to support local businesses if you can!

This one is my personal favorite!

Oracle Cards

Oracle decks are a tool of self-reflection or just to use for fun! They can offer insight similar to tarot cards, but there are some major differences. They do not directly follow the suits: wands, swords, pentacles and cups. They focus on meditation, reflection, developing your intuition, self-love, emotional well-being and romance. A lot of the times they are easy to use and great to add with your tarot spreads to get further clarity. A lot of them also have themes!

Great for beginners and my personal favorite!

Charm casting and Scrabble Letters

Charm Casting is something else you can do as a bonus in your spreads! It uses small charms and trinkets that you cast upon a surface and wherever they land on the cards can add further information and clarity. I use a focus palm too that you can set down on your spread. Whatever charms land in it after you mix them and drop them randomly based on gut feeling and intuition, would be your main focus. Scrabble letters are also fun to mix randomly and cast to get letters that can form words or whatever words immediately pop into your head when you look at them!

You can go thrifting or look through your room and find old jewelry with charms or other random small things. For instance, you can use a coin for money, a ring for commitment, a seashell for beauty or travel and a rock for being grounded. It is however you interpret it!

Pendulum

Pendulums are also fun! You can get a pendulum or use a necklace and you would ask a question while hovering it over a piece of paper that says: yes, no, maybe and unsure. They also have ones to buy online that are magnetic!

Journaling

Journaling is also great to do with tarot! You can write down notes from your readings to look back on or meanings of some cards if you cannot remember them. It is just a perfect place to write down your thoughts and keep track of the advice that you are given! When I do my one year spreads, they can take over an hour to complete, therefore I use a journal to keep track of all of the information I receive, and then I can look back on it over the course of the year! Personally, my readings are pretty spot on, so it helps greatly to look back on my notes!

Now: How is it More Normalized and Popularized?

I am from Pittsburgh, PA, and there are so many more metaphysical shops across the entire city. With that in mind, there are so many readers that are making tarot reading their entire living as a career. But, this is not only in my home city. I travel a lot around the United States and I have seen so many metaphysical shops in places like Georgia, Oregon, Washington, Washington DC, Ohio, Maryland, North and South Carolina and so many more. It is becoming something that is current, boho and creative in our culture that many more are starting to appreciate.

Metaphysical shop: A metaphysical store is a retail shop, where the focus is centered around metaphysical products such as tarot and oracle cards, crystals, sage, candles, essential oils, Reiki kits and so on. I definitely recommend checking one out, they are all normally local businesses!

There is a whole community on Youtube who do tarot readings as well! I love watching them to help me learn more about the hobby and to get any extra guidance!

Tarot Youtubers I recommend: Eso Tarot, The Hermit Tarot and Kino Tarot.

Not only this, so many people around my age are starting to try tarot out, which makes me really happy! Some of my friends have been practicing it for around a year now and some just started this month. Now, they just keep telling their friends and friends of friends. A few of them, who I have not fully talked to, have even reached out to me saying they have started to practice too. It is insane to me and makes me extremely happy that it is becoming more normalized and loved in our culture.

If you have been wanting to start tarot, but have been too scared of stereotypes, I am here to tell you to take action and try it out if you are passionate about it. Do not be afraid and hide it from the world like I once did. It is a great way to connect with yourself and bond with others who have this same interest as you. Tarot is a beautiful thing.

Ella Katona

Kent State '26

Ella is a sophomore at Kent State University. She is a Journalism major and has minors in Environmental Studies and Creative Writing. Ella was born and raised in Pittsburgh and adores spending her time out in nature, reading, running and doing anything involving art.