This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

A current trend in the blogging world is “I let my ……. pick out my outfits for a week.” Now, normally these videos or blog posts are boyfriends or strangers, but I decided to have my brother, Zach do it. Since I was home for spring break I thought it would be fun to put my brother to the test to see if he could capture my style. Although there was a rocky start, he progressed and ended on a strong note!

Monday

Since it was the beginning of this challenge, I decided to be lenient and have my brother choose what he would wear out of my closet. Now, my brother is no fashion expert. He is 21 years old and loves graphic tees more than anything. If he could wear them and pajamas all day he is happy, so you can imagine how scared I was to have him pick out my clothes.

Of course, my brother’s love for graphic tees had him on a hunt for what he considered my “coolest” looking shirt. He didn’t have much luck since most of my graphic tees are somehow related to One Direction. He settled on one of the band shirts I had in my closest during my ever so embarrassing grunge phase. The shirt was a Led Zeppelin tee and he paired it with jeans and maroon Converse. I told my brother that every outfit had to have an accessory, so he picked sunglasses to go with this look. Very casual and comfortable, but definitely not my style. I give him props for making sure everything matched!

Tuesday

This is where things began to change. Zach was now picking things out that he believed I would look good in or I’d wear. Today he picked out a blue and white sundress, he told me he chose this because every girl looks good in a sundress. I love the dress he picked, not only because its super cute but because I met Harry Styles in it (tear). To go with this Zach, choose flip flops. Typical of my brother, he chose the first pair he saw and said; “I don’t know if you have any nicer sandals, so I picked these.” As I looked in my closest eyeing my favorite wedged sandals. He also chose my floppy beach hat to complete the look. I survived taking photos in this Florida outfit when Ohio was in what we call “spring.” If it weren’t for the weather this look would be perfect for a date or a dinner downtown with your girls.

Wednesday

Today, he chose an outfit that captured my style. It was a skater skirt, thigh high socks, wedges, and a long sleeve shirt with mesh cutouts. The accessory he picked was a wire heart necklace. This look was so comfortable to me. It is a look I normally would go to in my closet. The outfit is great for the spring weather, the socks are a source of warmth without the discomfort tights give you. I’m so proud of my brother capturing my style with this outfit. I will be wearing this again in the future!

Thursday

For this outfit Zach wanted to try something fancier. He picked the jeans, because he had no idea what other pants would look good, and he liked the top because of the ruffle detailing. His choice of necklace was based on his keen fashion sense; aka he thought the black would go with white and look cool with the ruffles. The shoes where also picked to give a more elegant vibe. I wasn’t complaining, I love any excuse to wear those shoes!

Friday

For today, my brother threw it back to comfortable and casual. He wanted to do something different than he did the past week. He wanted to try trousers or what he calls “pants other than jeans”. He picked my pink cropped pair. He was struggling with this look. He was unsure of what girls wore with these types of pants because he never saw them before. I gave him some hints about how I typically wear them. He came up with the graphic tee and converse again, but I was happy to have an outfit at the end of the week that didn’t hurt my feet! The look was loose and fun. The shirt was my favorite part! I mean, nobody can be Harry Styles. My brother also thought this shirt was funny and decided I had to wear it. He spiced the causal look up with a necklace.

Overall, I was impressed with the outfits Zach pulled together. I had expected this experiment to go completely opposite. I pictured myself walking down the street in an outfit with all of my bright colored clothing in one. Thankfully my brother picked adorable and fashionable outfits that had people turning their heads in a good way! His fashion sense really improved from the beginning of the week. I was proud of him and can see myself wearing some of these looks again! So, thank you to my brother for going through all of this! You rock!  

Shelby Rabideaux is currently attending Kent State University. She is majoring in Digital Media Production and will have a minor in Fashion Media. Her love for entertainment and film came from actively going to concerts. She currently is on a TV show called The Blurb that focuses on entertainment news that her school produces. She dreams to be able to inspire others like how she was inspired. Shelby is currently the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Kent State and the President where she strives to share her love for Her Camps with the Kent community. 
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.