I Have a Tattoo that My Parents Don’t Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

I have two tattoos. One is a sunflower on my left shoulder, the other is a small heart on my right hip. My parents only know about the sunflower tattoo.

I got my first tattoo when I was 17 the summer before my freshman year of college. My friend had a stick and poke kit and I had wanted a tattoo. A stick and poke is  “a kind of tattooing that involves using a sharp point and some ‘ink’,” according to stickandpokekit.com. Although it is a permanent tattoo, over the years there is a higher chance of the tattoo fading away.

When I first got the tattoo I was both excited and worried. Excited because I had gotten my first tattoo and that I liked that design, but nervous because I hadn’t told my parents about it and I was worried about how they would react to a stick n poke. I’ve kept it a secret from them for the past two years now and I don’t plan on telling them.

Since then I’ve gotten another tattoo. My mom also has a tattoo and she knew that I’ve always wanted one. So when I told her about the sunflower tattoo she was really supportive. My dad wasn’t as happy with the idea of a tattoo, but also since then is fine with it.

Even though they know about the tattoo I have and are fine with it, I don’t need the see the need of telling them. It’s been two years now and I don’t think there’s ever a time to bring up it up and if they are fine with this tattoo, I don’t see why they would be upset with the other one.

On the other hand, I’m worried about them reacting to the fact that it was a stick n poke and wasn’t done by a professional. Growing up my mom told me that if I ever got a tattoo or a piercing, it had to be done professionally and in a safe environment; which is the opposite of a stick n poke. I don’t think that they would be mad, maybe disappointed, but it’s one of my favorite memories.

At first the tattoo didn’t have any meaning to me, but over time I realized that tattoos don’t have to have meaning to be valid. As long as you like it, that’s all that matters.

Hey! My name is Amanda Levine and I'm from Brooklyn, NY. I love playing softball, listening to music, and watching netflix.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.