Style > Beauty

I Tried the TikTok Famous Pureology Shampoo and Conditioner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

I’m usually not the type of person to buy popular TikTok items that pop up on my “for you” page, but I decided the Pureology Hydration Duo might just be worth a try. I was already in need of a new shampoo to try and I took a trip to Ulta, so my decision to buy this duo was pretty justified. Here’s what I know so far about the product and how it has treated my hair.

Already Feeling the Hydration

After wash one, I immediately noticed that the ends of my hair were less dry as my hair began to air dry. I also noticed that it was not as frizzy as it usually is. I have curly hair that is a little below shoulder length, and it does seem to poof out a bit depending on what products I use. For my first two washes, I did not put any product on my hair after washing. I let it air dry slowly and felt the progress. It was soft, smooth and looked pretty good. My ultimate goal for my hair is to gain moisture and look less frizzy and I think the Pureology Hydration Shampoo and Conditioner will do just that.

Barbara Palvin Kiss GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

My Hair Routine

It is, of course, important to know what I do routine-wise when it comes to using this product. First, I only massage the shampoo into my scalp when washing. I find that my ends are dryer if I am always putting shampoo directly onto them. I occasionally shampoo my hair twice in a row, depending on how long I have gone before washing and how dirty it seems. After shampooing, I go right to the conditioner. With thick hair, I would say I use a quarter size amount of conditioner. Mids to ends, usually never on the scalp.

After my hair wash, I will comb through my hair and do a quick scrunch. If I use any other products, I will comb through any sprays. Then, my curl cream goes in as my head is flipped over, and I scrunch more. With products, I will typically diffuse my hair for a few minutes with my hair dryer.

Love It Reaction GIF by Kamie Crawford - Find & Share on GIPHY

How I Am Liking It

I do have to say that Pureology did a great job with this hydration set. When I style my hair, I really notice that it falls smoother and has less frizz. This specific duo also has an amazing smell, something that I find is very important when it comes to my hair products. The shampoo is very concentrated, so be sure to keep in mind that a little goes a long way. This product is also perfectly safe for colored hair, it is even meant for it. This makes me happy as well because I like to take care of my color.

Overall, I would recommend this shampoo and conditioner to anyone who is debating whether or not to purchase. So far, it is worth the hype that I’ve seen all over TikTok. I hope that it continues to improve my hair’s moisture as well as keep me satisfied.

Grace Weingart

Kent State '24

Grace is a junior at Kent State University. She is an English major with a Creative Writing minor. Grace is currently a Senior Editor for the Chapter at Kent. She enjoys being poolside in the sun, shopping and loving on her pup.