Style

How You Can Incorporate Menswear Into Your Womenswear

With gender-neutral fashion and the oversized fit trend on the rise, there’s no better time to try incorporating some men’s clothing pieces into your daily closet. Though this look may seem out of many people’s comfort zones the key is starting off simple. Check out some of the style tips down below and give one of these statement pieces a try! 

Flannels 

Celina Timmerman-Girl On Bleachers
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus

Men’s flannels, they’re bigger, cozier, and in my humble opinion, one million times better than women’s flannels. They’re extremely versatile pieces whether you layer it under a denim jacket, tie it around your waist or pair it over a tube top, and can be worn during nearly any season. Flannels also make for great thrifting pieces and are most often pretty available and easy to find. 

Swim Trunks 

Anna Schultz-Girl With Hands In Hair On Beach Inspirational
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

My personal fashion inspiration, Carrie Bradshaw wore this look flawlessly in Sex and the City season 2 episode 17 on a trip to the Hamptons. Swim trunk bottoms with a bikini top is a unique and sporty way to play with gender-neutral clothing and a great choice for your next beach day. 

Suits 

Women at Eiffel Tower
Diana Titenko

This look can be extremely chic in the office or even for a night out, making you look and feel like a major girl boss. Many celebrities have even worn the look for red carpets award shows, paired with statement pumps and a slicked-back ponytail. 

Chunky Sneakers 

Melody Jacob
Melody Jacob / Unsplash

The chunky sneakers trend has been sweeping through the fashion world for quite some time now. Formally known as the “dad” sneakers brands such as Fila, Balenciaga, Adidas, and Nike have all adapted this look and geared it towards women’s wear. The style pairs well with your favorite sundress, a sweater and jeans, skirts, or even a blazer and straight-leg pants. 

Oversized Shirts

Fur Coat, Beanie, Stripe Shirt
Arianna Tucker / Her Campus

Men’s oversized shirts are a timeless staple to add to your closet if you don’t have some already. I often go to some of my favorite retail stores and make a mad dash toward the men’s T-shirt sections. You can usually find comfortable band tees or even just plain ones to wear over bike shorts or even wrap a chunky belt around one and wear it as a mini dress. The same styling tips work for oversized button-down tops as well. 

Amanda Vogt is a sophomore at Kent State University and is from the suburbs of Rochester New York. Her studies include a major in fashion merchandising as well as a minor in creative writing. She has always loved writing and used to spend her days in math and science class coming up with short stories instead of calculating numbers. She is also an avid lover of all things fashion and makeup related and has been interested in the industry ever since she was little. She hopes to live in a big city after college with an unhealthy amount of dogs.