Style > Beauty

How You Can Get a Full Face of Makeup in Under 20 Minutes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Since about 14 years old I have been obsessed with watching Youtube makeup tutorials, following beauty industry influencers and learning the ins and outs of doing my own makeup. I won’t even go into the shameful details of the size or price tag associated with the makeup collection I’ve built over the years, but they’re not pretty. Even though doing all out glamourous looks can be very fun and creative they’re not always the most practical for everyday wear or waking up early in the morning getting ready for classes. Especially since my other great love is sleep, and I like to get every second I can before I have to get up for the day. With some trial and error, and many high school late passes later, I feel like I have finally mastered getting a full face of makeup done in under 20 minutes. and I’m confident you can too.

P.S. I tend to have drier skin, so I like a very luminous makeup look, and the products and steps below are my personal preference. Feel free to substitute any of the products or steps with ones that you feel would work best with your skin type. Now let’s get started.

First, it’s good to start with a moisturizing base that you can blend out all over your face. Whether you want to use just your daily moisturizer, or an actual primer I don’t really find it makes that big of a difference under your makeup.

What I use…

Wet n Wild Photo Focus Dewy Face Primer $4.69

Second, I grab my foundation, occasionally mixing two of them together, and dot it all over my face. Sometimes I like to blend it out with a brush and sometimes I like to use a beauty sponge. Honestly, it just depends on whether or not I feel like walking to the bathroom to wet my sponge. Something else to keep in mind is a makeup brush will most likely apply the foundation more full coverage than a sponge would and take a bit less time to blend out.

What I use…

L’Oreal Lumi True Match Foundation $10.97

Morphe Y6 Pro Flat Buffer Brush $10.00

Morphe Flawless Beauty Sponge $8.00

Third, I place a full coverage concealer under my eyes in a downward triangle shape and a little bit on my chin and between my eyebrows. I like to use a shade a few colors lighter than my foundation to give the appearance of a brighter undereye. Then I blend it out with either my foundation brush or a sponge depending on what I used in the previous step.

What I use…

Makeup Revolution Conceal and Define Concealer $7.00

Fourth, I use a large powder brush to buff out a translucent powder all over my face in order to set my foundation and concealer and to keep it in place.

What I use…

e.l.f. Perfect Finish HD Powder $6.00

Real Techniques Base Powder Brush $9.99

Fifth, after I finish lying down my base, I apply a bronzer and blush to add some color to my face. I use a fluffy flat brush to blend out bronzer on the top of my forehead, the bottom of my jawline and the contour of my cheeks. Then I place a light blush on the apples of my cheeks with a soft angled brush and blend it up toward my temples.

What I use…

Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer $14.99

MAC Powder Blush in Breath of Plum $24.00

e.l.f. Studio Powder Brush $4.00

BH Cosmetics Angled Blush Brush (part of a set)

Sixth, I move onto my eyes, using a small angled brush to fill in and create an arch shape for my eyebrows. After that, I blend a matte brown shadow into the crease of my eye to give it some definition. Then, I personally like to to do winged eyeliner, though I have been doing a wing look for a long time now and am pretty comfortable with doing it quickly. If you don’t want to do a winged eyeliner or don’t feel comfortable with it then you can just add some mascara to both the top and bottom lashes to finish off the eye look. You could even add a shimmery lid color for a little extra definition.

What I use…

Jeffree Star X Morphe JS5 Blending Brush (part of a set)

Jeffree Star X Morphe JS6 Packing Brush (part of a set)

Jeffree Star X Morphe JS7 Eyebrow Brush (part of a set)

NYX Tame and Frame Tinted Brow Pomade $7.50

Maybelline the Falsies Push Up Angel Mascara in Blackest Black $9.49

Jaclyn Hill X Morphe Eyeshadow Palette $38.00

Stila Stay All Day Liquid Eyeliner $22.00

Next, my favorite product to add is highlighter. No matter the season, place or event, I love a good glow all over my cheekbones. For the application, I use a rounded fluffy brush and dip it into my powder highlighter. I then spray the brush with a rosewater mist to wet the product before I place it on my cheekbones. This makes for an extra blinding highlight, but if you prefer a more natural glow I would just apply the product dry.

What I use…

Jeffree Star Cosmetics Skin Frost in Neffree $29.00

Wet n Wild MegaGlo Highlighting Powder in Blossom Glow $4.99

Jeffree Star X Morphe JS4 (part of a set)

SHE Aromatherapy Rose Water and Coconut Face Spray $4.99

Lastly, to top the entire look off, I scrub a light layer of sugar exfoliates over my lips then apply either chapstick or nude lipstick. Then I spray a full mist of setting spray all over, and I finally have a full face of makeup ready to last me the entire day.

What I use…

Jeffree Star Cosmetics Lip Scrub in Blue Raspberry Sucker $12.00

Burts Bees Chapstick $3.59

Wet n Wild Natural Finish Setting Spray $4.69

Jeffree Star Cosmetics Liquid Lipstick in Hunty $18.00

After timing myself doing this routine one morning, the total time it took me to apply this full face of makeup was 14 minutes and 84 seconds. So see, you can complete this look easy, and with time to spare!

Amanda Vogt is a sophomore at Kent State University and is from the suburbs of Rochester New York. Her studies include a major in fashion merchandising as well as a minor in creative writing. She has always loved writing and used to spend her days in math and science class coming up with short stories instead of calculating numbers. She is also an avid lover of all things fashion and makeup related and has been interested in the industry ever since she was little. She hopes to live in a big city after college with an unhealthy amount of dogs.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.