This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

As the weather cools down and clocks fall back, it becomes easier than ever to neglect self-care on the daily. To make matters even worse, some of us are still longing for summer days where every hour seemed to be filled with an activity or something to do. Colder weather tends to bring quiet nights and hours spent staying warm at home- with this can bring accompanying feelings of boredom and even worse, seasonal blues. With this article, I hope to introduce you to a few activities that are both comforting and accessible for when the sun sets a little earlier than usual. These activities aim to be grounding and appreciative of the new colder season that is upon us now.

COLDER WEATHER, COZIER HOME

One activity that instantly makes me in the colder-season spirit includes making my apartment as cozy as possible. There’s many things you can do to achieve your coziest space, and it’s different for everyone. Personally, I craft my area using my five senses to ground and center myself. One of which includes scent, which I utilize by lighting as many candles as possible (bonus points if the candle is seasonal!). Even if you don’t have candles, there’s plenty of options: essential oils, baking something simple and even making potpourri. Potpourri is more of a classic approach to achieving your desired seasonal scent- you heat up a pot on the stove and add seasonal ingredients and spices, letting them steep for hours on end. My favorite recipe for when it’s cold includes slicing up an apple and mixing it in a pot with clove, cinnamon sticks, vanilla and nutmeg. With these nostalgic scents wafting through the air, it’s nearly impossible to be anything but content.

Pinterest

stay warm (and soft)

Another sense I utilize is touch. Maybe it is the Taurus in my heart, but everything soft and plush brings me so much joy, especially during the colder times of year. Lately, I’ve been loving anything sherpa which includes throw pillows, blankets, robes and slippers. I personally believe that by becoming cozy and warm on the outside, you’ll inevitably begin to feel it on the inside. After a warm shower, I like to throw on my thickest socks and soft sweatpants to burrow under all of my favorite blankets. Make your way to Target as the temperatures drop to treat yourself to a new pillow or blanket- you won’t regret it.

Pinterest

seasonal foods to fight the blues

The last of the most important senses to utilize during cold months includes taste. There’s something about seasonal foods that can bring the magic back into gloomy weather. These foods are warm and taste like your grandma might have made them: think soup, homemade cookies and really anything baked. During the fall and winter season I make a point to stock up on ingredients to make my own baked goods like chocolate chip cookies and even sugar cookies with edible flowers on top. This is where Pinterest comes in handy- there are thousands of recipes to explore all according to your own baking skill level. The taste category doubles as a scent category- with a fresh batch of cookies baking, it’ll smell like your favorite candle come to life.

Pinterest

Of course, you can also include sight and sound in your routine by cleaning and decorating your space exactly how you like it and popping on your favorite new album or podcast. No matter what you do, there’s numerous ways to welcome in the cold weather for every living space, lifestyle and budget. By reflecting on what brings you the most comfort, you’ll fall forward into your new routine even when the clocks fall back.

Alexis Kirby

Kent State '23

Alexis is a senior majoring in Applied Communication with a minor in Advertising at Kent State. She's passionate about all things beauty, lifestyle, and everyday luxury.