How To Tell Your Parents You’re Changing Majors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.
So many students come to college with an uncertain view of what they want to major in. Some students enroll in college undecided, and others choose a major they think will fit their job criteria, but then realize it’s not for them. Some college students even realize halfway through their degree that the path they are on is not the right one.

Having a passion for a new major is one of the most fulfilling feelings a college student can have. The feeling is new and exciting, and you want to explore all of your options right away. However, the reality of knowing you’ll soon have to tell your parents that you have to do an extra year of college (or even postpone your graduation date) can cause you a lot of anxiety and fear. 

Before you get worked up about telling your parents, start off by: 

1) Making a list of all the reasons why you wanted to change your major. 

2) Make a list of reasons of why your old major is not for you. 

3) Map out a budget and the cost of you switching your major (if you are afraid to tell your parents for financial reasons). This list should include: tuition for an extra year, graduate school expenses, and living expenses. Also, add in the starting salary for the jobs within your new major. 

4) Explain why you are so passionate about this new major and what you plan to do with it now and in the future.

Your parents may be upset in the beginning, but just remember this is your choice to make; this is what you are going to be doing for the rest of your life. Do what ultimately will make you happy, and what will get you to where you want to be at the end of your college career.

A parent’s job is to support us in all of our future endeavors. You may be worried now, but remember that they sent you off to college to chase after your dreams. Stay strong, and most of all, stay focused. You went to college to get an education in something you want to pursue for the rest of your life. Don’t take it lightly, work hard, persevere, and aspire higher then you ever have before. Good luck to you if you are telling your parents tonight, tomorrow, next week or next month! Congratulations on your new major.

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.