This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

I am a senior in college and being a senior in college means a lot of different things. I am able to say I successfully survived three years of college. I am able to go to bars and order myself drinks. My end goal of graduation is much closer than I think.

Another aspect of adulthood comes with being a senior college. In order to officially become an adult, I need to get a job. In order to get a job, I have to be a part of interviews. I am not an expert at interviews. In fact, interviews make me feel anxious. I am always uncertain on how I should act, where should I look and what to do with my hands.

Despite my fear of interviews, I have learned a lot about them in the past year. I gained some insight into interviewing from reading advice articles and experiencing great (and not-so-great) interviews firsthand. I have also conducted interviews in the past and I know what employers look for. Everyone will have to experience a job interview at least once in their life. Below is a list on how to not only survive these impending job interviews, but to succeed at these job interviews.

1. Dress to reflect your personal brand

Self-branding is essential when it comes to finding a job. When you are branding yourself you are showing future employers who you are and why your unique self is perfect for the job. Since the first thing an employer notices about you when you walk into an interview is your outfit, it is important that your clothes reflects your brand in a professional way.

When I dress for a typical day, I tend to wear dark lipsticks and big earrings. These accessories represent myself. For job interviews in the past, I wear earrings that are not too flashy and lipstick that is not too dark. Although I still look professional, I am still showing my brand. Maybe you like to wear a certain color. Maybe you like wearing necklaces or bracelets. As long as you keep your look professional you can still incorporate your brand to stand out.

2. Be prepared

This may seem really obvious, but it is a tip I have overlooked in the past. I went into a job interview last year with all of my resources. I had my portfolio, my resume; the whole shebang. I was ready to brag about myself and my accomplishments.

The employer looked at me and the first question he asked me was: “What do you know about our company?” 

I completely froze. I had been so ready to self-promote that I had not researched the company. The interview went downhill from that point and, needless to say, I did not get the job. Obviously, do not forget the essentials, such as a resume and a portfolio. Just prepare yourself for interviews in other ways too. Do your homework, research the company and find what part of your brand fits with the company. The time it takes you to do this research will be worth it.

3. REALLY think about your answers

I am sure many of you have read articles before with answers to interview questions. A lot of times, these articles can be super helpful. However, sometimes the answers that these writers provide are incredibly cliché. You know it and most importantly your potential employer knows it too. You can use these answers you have read online while putting your own twist on them. For example, when you are asked what some of your weaknesses are, do not just use a weakness that is actually a strength in disguise. Think about a weakness that you have, and how you are improving on that weakness. Not only will this answer seem more authentic, but it will also help you stand out as a candidate for a position.

4. Be kind to everyone in the office before the interview

This seems like a weird tip, but it is one to keep in mind. It is important to remember that as soon as you drive into the parking lot of your potential workplace, you have to be the best you that you can be. The people you interact with could be your future coworkers and how you treat others can make or break you when it comes to a job position. Be as professional to the receptionist as you are to the interviewer.

5. Find the balance

This is the tip that I have the most difficulty with. You cannot be so stressed for an interview that you cannot function; However, you cannot be so relaxed for an interview that you do not care. You also have to be confident without seeming cocky. It is all about finding the balance. Although I still struggle with relaxing for an interview, I have found that some steps personally work for me. I like to listen to my favorite song right before I go in for an interview. I also take deep breaths and drink tea to calm my nerves. However, I still remind myself that I am a great fit for this job; otherwise, I would not have been asked to do this interview. Find what works for you. Find the balance.

6. Do not dwell on the rejections

I have not gotten many jobs. Some of these jobs I was not experienced enough for. Some of them I just simply was not a right fit. I used to take these rejections personally. Do not do that. Learn from the mistakes you may have made in the interview. After that, to quote Elsa, “let it go.” Just like your GPA does not your self-worth, your job interviews and job placements should not either.

Good luck with your future job interviews collegiettes! 

Lauryn Rosinski is a senior at Kent State University. She is currently studying public relations, and she is hoping to work in the public relations or event-planning fields when she graduates. She would also enjoy blogging or free lance writing in her spare time. At Kent State University, along with being a writer for Her Campus, she a member of the Public Relations Student Society of America, a campus tour guide and an employee at the Kent Plaza Theatre. Lauryn is incredibly excited and grateful to work with such talented people at Her Campus, and she looks forward to reaching out to Her Campus followers!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.