Style

How to Dress Like You Just Stepped Off the Bus From Woodstock

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Of course every decade has its own era of style, and one era that seems to be becoming popular again is the seventies era. Hippie, Disco and Bohemian are a few words to describe the style of the times. Bell bottoms, jumpsuits, corduroy and psychedelic prints were all popular in the hippie days. Here’s a few tips to get your started on finding your signature seventies styles!  

Bell Bottoms, Peasant Tops, & Fringe

Woodstock, the highly anticipated music festival of August 1969 showed off the best seventies fashion. Every young person wanted to go to the festival located in Bethel, New York. While Jimi Hendrix, Sly & The Family Stone and Janis Joplin were playing, around 500,000 people showed up with their natural fashion looks for the festival on the dairy farm. There was minimal access to food and many tramped around barefoot on the grounds. People wore tie dye, peasant blouses, bell bottoms and fringe tops. Even though it took place in 1969, it launched a movement that lasted the entirety of the seventies. 

The Stevie Nicks Kimono

Soon after Woodstock, the seventies era began. Stevie Nicks, Olivia Newton-John, Farrah Fawcett and Jean Shrimpton are just a few that pulled off the seventies fashion well. Nicks was known for wearing kimonos and skirts throughout her time as the lead singer of Fleetwood Mac. Newton-John, who starred in the movie Grease, wore high waisted denim, slouchy sweaters and flared pants. Shrimpton, a model, pulled off the ultra mod look with high waisted, flared pants and mid length dresses. 

A Classic Cut

Shag cut, mid-length, feathered hair was the classic style of the seventies. Farrah Fawcett had the hairstyle which had a name, “Farrah Fawcett’s flip” which was worn by everyone. 

Social media is a great place to get inspiration, especially for unique styles such as the seventies. One person that looks like they time travelled from the seventies is @rosenoraanna on Instagram/@70srose on TikTok. Rose posts hair tutorials, fashion looks and her favorite music icons from the seventies. A good place to look for inspiration is Pinterest, which has thousands of pictures in one place replicating a mood board. 

Finding clothes that go with the seventies style is a hard venture. Thrift stores are a great place to start because it is a sustainable way to purchase clothes that could have originals from the seventies itself. Village Discount Outlets, a consignment store in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio is a store that has many classic 70’s pieces. Etsy is a great place if you are looking for something specific and want to continue in the sustainability trend. Stores like Forever 21, Cider, and Nasty Gal all have staple pieces like flared pants and white boots for the seventies look. 

Becoming a queen of the seventies is a daunting task. If you try hard enough, you can find the perfect outfits that give you the hippie vibe. In the link below is a Pinterest board where you can find all of the outfit inspiration to channel your inner “Gold Dust Woman.” 

https://pin.it/345w5iP 

Emma MacNiven

Kent State '24

Emma is a native of Louisville, Kentucky and is currently studying Journalism at Kent State University. Besides writing, Emma has a passion for activism and loves to read, listen to Taylor Swift and see new places. In the future, she hopes to pursue a career at a magazine or newspaper.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.