How to Choose the Best Facial Cleanser for your Skin Type

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

We all know washing your face before bed is necessary for healthy skin, but picking the right facial cleanser from the hundreds of products on the market can be a challenge. Whether you have oily, dry, sensitive or acne prone skin, there’s a product out there for you. Here is a guide to five popular types of cleansers to help fit your skincare needs.

1. Milk Cleansers

What they are

Milk cleansers are made from lightweight emollients and oils.  They gently cleanse your skin without stripping it of natural oils. So your skin stays balanced, hydrated and soft. Milk cleansers are also great for removing makeup thanks to the oils in the formula that cling to and remove makeup and grime from your skin.

Who should use them

Milk cleansers are pretty universal. They can help hydrate dry skin, and they are gentle enough for sensitive skin. People with normal to combination skin can also benefit from the formula. However, people with acne prone skin will need a stronger formula. For people with oily skin, milk cleansers will be too rich for their complexions and increase shine.

2. Gel Cleansers

What they are

Gel cleansers are clear and, like the name suggests, have a gel-like consistency. They are designed for deep cleansing and are effective at eliminating acne causing bacteria and surface oils.

Who should use them

Gel cleaners are the best for oily skin. They unclog pores and are light enough to use with your favorite moisturizer without weighing down your skin. Gel cleansers are also useful if you’re concerned with preventing future breakouts.

3. Oil Cleansers

What they are

Oils are not only beneficial for your hair.  Oil cleansers come in a variety of ingredients and work with the natural oils on your face to pull out dirt and leave your skin hydrated.

Who should use them

Depending on the ingredients, almost all skin types can use oil cleansers. People with oily skin are recommended to use oils with botanical amino acids to gently remove the excess serum. People with dry skin can use most oil cleansers because of their hydrating benefits. Oil cleansers with safflower oils work well with combination skin because it cleanses and hydrates. Sensitive skin users should look for cleansers with olive oil to soothe skin. As for people with acne prone skin, it’s unclear on whether oil cleansers can help their skin because acne encompasses oil production, bacterial overgrowth and inflammation. If you’re prone to breakouts but still want to try the latest skin care craze, look for non-pore clogging ingredients such as glycerin and silicone.

4. Micellar Water

What they are

What exactly is micellar water? It is made up of micelles, tiny balls of cleansing oil molecules suspended in soft water. Since its arrival on the market, micellar water has gotten a reputation for being one of the best makeup removers.

Who should use them

If you’re wearing light coverage makeup, micellar water will work. For heavy coverage foundation and waterproof mascara, you’ll need an additional makeup remover to get fresh-faced. Micellar water works the best with dry and sensitive skin because its gentle and hydrating.  To apply micellar water, use a cotton ball or pad so the product can easily soak up dirt.

5. Facial Scrubs

What they are

Facial scrubs are a great exfoliant. The thick, grainy texture is perfect for winter because it removes dead skin and leaves your face with a nice glow.

Who should use them

Scrubs with a sandy, powder base are fine for sensitive skin because you can make the scrub gentle by mixing it with water.  If you’re dealing with acne, look for scrubs that contain acid, such as Beta hydroxy acids. The acids work by dissolving dead skin cells and zit causing oil without harsh scrubbing. If you have dry skin, use an alpha hydroxy acid to give your skin a glow without causing redness.

Jillian Holness is a senior magazine journalism major. She enjoys buying too many lipsticks, thinking about brunch and daydreaming about staring in one of Rihanna's music videos.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.