This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Buying books for an avid reader is difficult, especially when you’re not a bookworm yourself. 

How do you know what genres they prefer or authors they like? How do you know what books they’ve already read or new releases they’re anticipating? 

In short, how do you gift the perfect book? 

As a self-proclaimed reader, this is my holiday gift-giving guide for the readers in your life. 

First up, my advice on how to select the perfect book-related gift. 

Tips & Tricks: 

1. Goodreads

Chances are if your special someone loves to read, they’ll have a Goodreads account. Here, you will be able to see what they’ve read, how they’ve rated it and even their specific thoughts if they use the review feature.

Goodreads

The best part? You can see what they plan on reading in the future in the “Want to Read” section. From all the information Goodreads supplies, you can make an informed purchase for your reader. 

2. Movies and TV Shows

Look at what movies and TV shows your reader enjoys. Usually, they’ll like books in similar genres which can narrow down your choices.

On top of that, a lot of existing TV and movie franchises are based on book series. Of course, your reader probably already knows this, but it’s worth a double check! 

3. Related Gifts

If you really don’t feel brave enough to buy your bookworm a completely new book, you can’t go wrong with book-related paraphernalia such as bookmarks or book lights.

You can take this a step further if you know their favorite book or series for which you can give them fun items. Websites such as Etsy and Redbubble offer tons of gift options related to any book or series you can think of. 

Next up, some of my favorite books with recommendations on what reader in your life they would be perfect for!

My Recommendations:

1. Sharp Objects

If your reader loves small-town mystery shows such as Mare of Easttown, The Outsider or Stranger Things, thriller movies such as Se7en and Silence of the Lambs or just generally has a love for all things Gone Girl (the book or the movie) then you should gift them Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. 

2. Normal People

If your reader used to religiously read John Green, loves movies such as (500) Days of Summer and The Perks of Being a Wallflower or is very invested in the “Modern Love” column and podcast of “The New York Times,” then you should gift them Normal People by Sally Rooney. 

Normal People by Sally Rooney

3. The Young Elites

If your reader is a bit younger, enjoys epic fantasies and superheroes and likes the series The Darkest Minds (movie or book) and Shatter Me, then you should gift them The Young Elites by Marie Lu. 

The Young Elites by Marie Lu

Hopefully, this guide will help you with all your book-related gift-giving this holiday season!

And remember, even if that special someone isn’t a bookworm yet, a book is always a great gift.

Jenna Bal

Kent State '24

Jenna Bal is a sophomore journalism major with a minors in English and web development. This is her second semester writing for HerCampus and the Burr. When she’s home in Toledo, Jenna enjoys working as a barista and spending time with her younger sisters. Her hobbies include reading, hiking, and journaling, and her favorite read is Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. After graduation, she hopes to write for a magazine and eventually pursue her master’s degree in library sciences.