This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Initiated by the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women, HeforShe is a campaign for gender equality. The main goal is to engage men to help work towards gender equality and women’s rights. The entire idea of the campaign is that all people are affected by gender inequality, and that it is not just a “struggle for women by women.”

On September 20, 2014 an event was held to launch the campaign at the headquarters of the United Nations in New York. UN Women Goodwill Ambassador, Emma Watson, hosted the event and gave a speech that touched on the subjects of feminism, and the need for men to become active in promoting gender equality.

Since then, the campaign has received a lot of attention and over 200,000 men all over the world have taken a stand for gender equality. Even Barack Obama has publically showen his support for the campaign. The goal is to get 1 million men to engage and take the pledge by July of 2015. This campaign is inspiring people to take a stand and work towards gender equality.

If you’re interested and would like to know more about the campaign, or want to encourage someone to take the pledge, check out Heforshe.org.

The website also gives the option to make a donation to help work towards putting an end to gender inequality globally.

Senior at Kent State | Victoria's Secret PINK Campus Rep
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.