Heartstopper and the Importance of Representation in Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

What is Heartstopper?

Heartstopper is the story of two teenage boys, Nick and Charlie, and how they meet and ultimately end up together. The series has open discussions about coming to terms with one’s identity, coming out and what it is ultimately like to be LGBTQ+ as a teenager.

The heart of the story is the relationships, both platonic and romantic, between all the characters. The interactions and love that the characters have for one another is the foundation for this series.

On Friday April 22nd, Netflix released Heartstopper, an eight episode series based on the graphic novels by Alice Oseman. As a huge fan of the graphic novels, I woke up at 6 a.m., alongside my friends, to watch the first episode. After finishing the series in one day, I can say, with confidence, that it is one of the best book-to-screen adaptations. As well as being one of the best additions to Netflix.

The story follows Charlie who meets Nick, the school’s star rugby player. The two of them begin to have feelings for one another, which brings Nick to start to question his sexuality. As well asao Tao and Elle, two of Charlie’s close friends, are seen missing one another after Elle transfers schools. Tara and Darcy, friends of Elle, are also seen struggling to come out as dating.

All of the characters deal with their own separate plots, and the crossover of their relationships and interactions is what makes the story so lovable.

What sets Heartstopper aside from other shows is the diversity and authenticity of the characters and cast. Heartstopper features a mostly LGBTQ+ cast of characters, as well as characters of color. The story focuses on Nick and Charlie’s blossoming romance, as well as the relationships between the characters.

What sets the show apart

There is a plethora of reasons that the Heartstopper graphic novels paved the way for the series to be adapted. Heartstopper is an easy, quick and light-hearted read. While it is light-hearted, it also does not lack depth in the story or in the characters. The diversity is also so important, especially diversity is not always displayed so openly and positively in media.

When translated to the Netflix series, the cast is what makes this show so amazing. The cast are so true to their characters while also adding more nuance and depth. The casting was also done so authentically and the passion that the cast has for the project is felt through their performances.

The casting was also done to stay true to the race of their characters, which is not always seen in book-to-screen adaptations. Although this can be seen as doing the bare minimum, characters of color are sometimes whitewashed when it comes to book-to-screen adaptations.

The show also focuses on bullying and homophobia, as well as microaggressions. The characters, specifically Charlie, are seen struggling with homophobic comments and bullying. However, other characters, especially Tao and Nick, are seen fighting back against these comments. The show makes it very clear that homophobia, bullying and microaggressions are disgusting and can have a large impact on the victims.

The characters also have unique personalities, along with traits and interests that are unique to them. They are incredibly well-written and well-acted. Props to Alice Oseman’s writing and the amazing acting of the Heartstopper cast.

The importance of representation in media

Having LGBTQ+ representation in the media is so important. Especially in shows that are made for a younger audience. Representation exposes children to diversity and allows them to feel seen in certain aspects of certain characters. It can also validates the experiences and feelings of people who are underrepresented in media.

Far too often, characters of color are being whitewashed, or cisgender actors portraying trans characters. Allowing actors of color and LGBTQ+ actors to step into these roles gives more authentic representation.

In Heartstopper, we see a lot of authentic representation. One of my favorite characters in the series, Elle, is a trans woman of color and was played by Yasmin Finney, a trans woman of color. It warms my heart to see authentic representation in the media.

In conclusion: You should Watch Heartstopper

Heartstopper is such a lovely and heart-warming story about romance and friendship. The characters are unique and all have their own individual personalities. The cast and crew is incredibly talented and a lot of passion and love went into creating Heartstopper. I highly recommend watching it on Netflix, and bring a friend along with you.

Allison Conkey

Kent State '23

Allison is a senior at Kent State majoring in Human Development and Family Studies and a minor in Psychology. She is the Philanthropy and Community Events Director for Her Campus at Kent State. She is a cat mom and cat aunt! Most of her free time is spent reading, collage journaling, or spending time with friends.