Wellness > Health

Healing Girl Summer: Relax, Recharge and Focus Your Energy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

For the last two years, most of us have been stuck inside. With mandates being slowly lifted and restrictions becoming less intense, as the temperatures rise and the calendar turns to June, most of us will be doing what we can to make up for the summers we lost. Some of us will be having our “Hot Girl” summers, as coined by Megan Thee Stallion herself. While I find the idea really enticing, I am going to go in another direction. I am hereby declaring Summer 2022 as the “Healing Girl” summer.

What does that mean? Well, a Healing Girl summer, at its core, means that I am trying my best to be intentional about my time. It is important that I use this summer to recharge and re-energize myself for the upcoming school year. I also want to spend time on self-care by soaking up the sun (with SPF) and spending my down time doing things that make me happy. If that means taking pool days or going thrift shopping or staying indoors all day watching Netflix, then that is what I will do. Summer is the perfect time to complete journal prompts about the school year that has passed and the year that is yet to come. With time away from the normal hustle and bustle of school life, you can achieve more clarity, and you may just decide that the path you are currently taking is not the one that best suits you. 

I took lots of time last summer to really be alone with myself. This meant getting up and getting myself out of the house or just simply sitting without my phone and enjoying the stillness. The most personal growth I have found has come from periods of time where I was completely alone with my thoughts. Something I learned: being alone doesn’t have to mean that you are lonely. Being alone can help you feel at peace with yourself enough to enjoy your own company. If you don’t not feel comfortable with being alone, then that is where the healing must start. 

Summer is a time for feeling your best self. You are given a period of time for self-exploration. Use it to find out what really brings you joy. Get to know yourself this summer and really get to the bottom of how you can feel like your best self year-round. Pinpoint the strengths you find in yourself and your routine and figure out the weaknesses as well. Then you can begin to discover how you want to spend your energy moving forward. Most importantly, though: take this time to relax!

Annie Gleydura

Kent State '24

I am Annie Gleydura. I’m a sophomore majoring in Fashion Merchandising and minoring in both fashion media and creative writing. My passions include fashion, writing, art, and makeup.