legally blonde icky valentines day?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
legally blonde icky valentines day?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
MGM
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

In my opinion, cheating is one of the worst things that can be done to a person. A cheater makes you doubt yourself and everything that happened in the relationship.

Being cheated on is a big deal but it shouldn’t define you. After I got cheated on, these things helped me and hopefully, it will help some of you going through the same thing.

First things first, stop all contact.

After you know for sure that they cheated on you, don’t ever speak to them again. The only thing that can come from talking to them is a disappointment.

Either they admit what they did and beg for forgiveness or they deny the whole thing. Both responses won’t make you feel any better.

This is the first step of acceptance. Accepting that someone you used to love so much is capable of something so horrible. Accepting the fact that they don’t deserve to ever speak to you again.

Next, you should cry.

I could sugarcoat this whole thing and tell you that it will all be fine. But I’m not gonna do that.

I hated to admit that being cheated on hurt me so bad. I was in denial for a very long time. I didn’t want to admit that a boy was making me feel this way.

I think if I would have just accepted how sad I was and cried, it would have been better. Give yourself a week or two to just wallow and be absolutely miserable. Then start to focus on healing.

Give yourself time to be alone.

I used to think that going out and talking to new people was what I needed to do. But I think what has helped me most is giving myself alone time.

I started working on myself for the first time in a long time. I developed a morning routine, started keeping my room clean, journaled and started focusing on school. I began looking forward to the small things that made me happy. I started being okay alone.

There is such a large stigma around being single. Society makes us believe that if we are single it’s not by choice. But, being single gives you time to find yourself. It is so important to put yourself first, Especially, in your teens and early twenties.

We have our whole lives to fall in love again, this is all about perspective. Don’t think of this as a bad thing. I know it hurts now, but pretty soon you’ll look back and wonder why you cared so much in the first place.

Emma Elliot

Kent State '25

My name is Emma Elliot. Im a freshman majoring in fashion merchandising. Im excited to share my experiences with you all, hopefully you can avoid the same mistakes I've made. I hope my pieces help you look on the brighter side of life.