This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Her Campus: What is your major/what will you be doing in the program next fall?

Hannah Staples: My major is fashion merchandising with minors in entrepreneurship and marketing. I have accepted a position in merchandising at Walt Disney World Resorts in Orlando, Florida. I will not know where I am working until I arrive down in Florida. I could be working in a park at a gift shop, a store, a stand or at the stroller/wheelchair rental. I could also be working in a gift shop at the resort or at Disney Springs. 

HC: What did the application process look like?

HS: The application had three parts. The first step is to log onto the Disney College Program website, make a profile and apply. They do not ask for your resume (which I thought was strange), but they do ask for what college you attend, your major and any past work experience. Then they ask what your work preferences are and where you would like to work. The second part is the web-based interview, which consists of two types of questions: multiple choice and rating items on a scale of 1-to-5. The last step is the phone interview with Disney recruiters. It’s about a 20 minute conversation, and they barely ask anything about you. They just want to know how you handle specific situations and if you have the “Disney look.” After the phone interview you will receive your acceptance through email and only have a few days to accept. 

HC: What are you looking forward to most about the Disney College Program?

HS: I am looking forward to all the memories I am going to make. Disney is going to be a whole new experience through the eyes of a cast member and having the opportunity to go to any park at any time is going to be incredible. I can’t wait for my friends and family to visit so I can be their personal tour guide and share the magic with them.

HC: What inspired you to apply for fall ’18?

HS: The Disney College Program is something I always wanted to do and when I figured out that I only had two classes left to complete my degree I decided to apply. I could take the last two classes online and work down at Disney at the same time. It was perfect timing, and I knew I would regret it if I didn’t apply. 

HC: Favorite Disney quote?

HS: “All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.” -Walt Disney 

Kerry Drenan: I am a senior fashion merchandising major with a minor in marketing.

KD: For my first program, I had always been a fan of Disney. I applied not knowing if I wanted to do it because of the possibility of getting behind in school and credit hours, but I applied anyways. It’s a free process, and I decided to go once I was accepted because I wasn’t feeling completely motivated with school. I really just wanted a change of scenery and work at the happiest place on Earth. 

KD: For my Fall 2015 program, I was a Merchandising Cast Member and I worked at the Art of Animation Resort. I also picked up shifts in Hollywood Studios and Disney Springs. For the upcoming fall 2018 program, I will be a Quick Service Food and Beverage cast member and I am not sure of my location yet. We find out where we will be working a week or two before our program starts. 

KD: One of my favorite parts of working for the company was meeting new people from all around the world and living at Disney World. I worked with and met people from Shanghai, Australia, England, Puerto Rico and all over. I also could not have asked for better roommates. They made the program so much better, and living with people from different states with different backgrounds helped me grow through the program as well. I also met my boyfriend of two years while I was working there; he was visiting from England at the time. I would definitely recommend anyone to apply who loves Disney and making people happy. Even if they’re worried about graduating on time, I would say to go for it because it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity. The program changed my life for the better, and I cannot wait to go back one more time before starting my career.

HC: Favorite Disney quote?

KD:  “Around here we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we’re curious…and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” -Walt Disney

Emily Wiegand is a junior early childhood education major with a special education minor at Kent State University. She is from Amherst, Ohio and loves to spend her extra time drinking iced coffee, or eating gummy worms. She enjoys listening to her favorite podcasts, journaling under a fuzzy blanket, and planning her whole week in her planner. She is looking forward to pursuing her love for writing on Her Campus. In the future, Emily wants to be a 1st grade teacher and she wants to leave her mark on the world by inspiring those around her.          
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.