Halloween is Here: The Best Things to Watch This Spooky Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

The best season of all is finally here, and it’s time to get into the Halloween spirit. Now that is officially October, here is a list of the best movies and shows to watch to get you into the spooky mood. 

Haunting of Hill House (Netflix)

The Haunting of Hill House is one of the spookiest shows on Netflix right now. This show is not for the faint of heart, not only is it legitimately scary and unsettling but it is also very sad and deals with an array of mental health and substance abuse issues. It centers around the Crane family, who once lived in Hill House, where they all experienced hauntings. The show deals with how the five children come to terms with their childhood and how to navigate their family issues.

Practical Magic (Hulu) 

Practical Magic is a classic 90’s female witchy movie. Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman star as two witch sisters who kill Kidman’s ex-boyfriend in their backyard. This movie isn’t as spooky as it is fun, but definitely gives you 90’s nostalgia and makes you wish you were actually a witch. Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman were basically the blueprints for the 90’s witch style craze.

The Witch (Hulu) 

The Witch is a great scary movie. While it has a few disturbing scenes, it is mostly a suspenseful film. The movie is set in 1600’s America around a Puritan family that has recently been banished from a Plymouth Colony. The family begins to crumble and become unhinged, and the eldest daughter is accused of being a witch. The Witch is definitely a bit dark, and even though it is not downright terrifying, it can definitely cause some unsettling feelings.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (Netflix)

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest would definitely not be categorized as horror or suspenseful movie, but it is definitely a classic that can put you into a Halloween mood. Everyone knows the classic characters of this movie, Nurse Ratched, R.P. and Chief. This movie is a look into how mental health patients were treated before there was more insight into mental health and how to deal with various mental health disorders. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest emphasis the importance of individuality, which is why Nurse Ratched is considered one of the evilest characters of all time because she routinely tries to diminish this. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest is considered one of the greatest movies of all time, and spooky season is a great time to either watch for the first time, or rewatch.

Ratched (Netflix) 

Speaking of Nurse Ratched, Netflix’s new show follows Mildred Ratched’s life leading up to One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. This show is definitely a bit graphic but beautifully done. Sarah Paulson truly is a scream queen and turns Nurse Ratched into someone you root for, despite the awful things she does. Set in the late 1940s and the set and clothing are extremely well done and appropriate for the era. Even though the episodes are long, the show definitely sucks you in and is binge-worthy.

Scream Queens (Hulu) 

Scream Queens is a satirical slasher television show that centers around a college whose students are being killed off by a serial killer dressed as the school mascot. Starring Lea Michele, Emma Roberts, Ariana Grande, Abigail Breslin, Billie Lourd, KeKe Palmer and the original scream queen, Jamie Lee Curtis. This female-centric show is completely ridiculous and over the top, while the characters are completely absurd. This show is definitely more fun than scary but has quite a few creepy scenes.

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix)

Based on the television series, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is a darker take on the original tale. The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina focuses on Sabrina Spellman and her decision to leave her mortal high school behind and attend a witch academy. The entire show will get you excited for Halloween, and will definitely make you wish you lived in a town like Greendale.

Hocus Pocus (Disney+)

Hocus Pocus is an absolute classic that everyone loves. Before Disney+, Hocus Pocus was an elusive find, it was never on any other streaming site before, most likely because it is such a huge part of FreeForm’s 31 Nights of Halloween. The Sanderson sisters have become pop-culture icons while Hocus Pocus is one of the most loved Halloween movies of all time. Disney+ has made it so you can watch all throughout the month of October without the editing that happens on cable television or the previews.

The Silence of the Lambs (Netflix) 

Another classic film, The Silence of the Lambs centers around the iconic characters, Hannibal Lecter, Clarice Sterling and Buffalo Bill. The Silence of the Lambs follows FBI agent Clarice Sterling, who gets the help of the brilliant incarcerated psychiatrist turned cannibal, Hannibal Lecter. While The Silence of the Lambs is not a horror movie, it definitely has its creepy elements. The Silence of the Lambs won multiple Oscars, and will definitely put you into the Halloween mood. This movie can definitely be a bit unsettling, but it more psychological than scary.

The Shining (Amazon Prime) 

The Shining is the one movie worth renting every year on Halloween. It is not on any streaming sites but is available to rent on Amazon for $3.99. The Shining is not only a classic Steven King adaptation but a classic Stanley Kubrick film. It follows the Torrance family, who become caretakers for a lodge in Colorado. Jack Nicholson, who plays Jack Torrance, is a writer who slowly becomes unhinged because of spirits that live within the lodge. The Shining is one of the most classic horror movies and definitely worth the $3.99.

Hopefully these movies will put you into the Halloween spirit!

Grace Christopher

Kent State '22

Grace Christopher is a Graduate student in Journalism and Mass Communication at Kent State University. She graduated from Youngstown State University in May with her Bachelor's in History and Political Science.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.