This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Being in college can be extremely stressful and overwhelming which can sometimes negatively affect your mental state. However, there are certain techniques and ways of connecting to our senses and the world around us that can surely improve it.

What it is

Grounding techniques are exercises that can distract from stressful feelings and allow you to live in the present. You may be wondering, well what is grounding? It is a practice that engages you to physically or mentally connect with your senses and your mind.

It can often help with mental illnesses like anxiety, stress, depression and PTSD. 

Get outside

There are many ways to practice grounding techniques beginning with physical practices. One way to bring awareness to the body and allow yourself to feel and recognize what is going on around you. Such as, planting your feet in the grass and feeling the sensation of the wisps of grass on your feet and firmness of the soil. 

Another great physical technique is to use your senses in an environment. This may include, enjoying a food or drink, feeling ice between your hands or even being outside to get fresh air and take the time to breathe. 

It can also be helpful to plan an activity with a friend or family member and be sure to enjoy the time and be present in the moment to avoid focusing on other thoughts. If more active techniques work better, it could help to listen and sing to music, touch something that is comforting like a blanket or just think about your favorite place and how it feels to be there.

Going outside in itself is a large healing factor when it comes to our physical and mental states. There are studies that show being in nature can reduce anxiety and have positive benefits on our health. In a USDA Forest Service article it says, “Studies also show that being outside in nature is relaxing, reducing our stress, cortisol levels, muscle tension and heart rates – all of which are risk factors for cardiovascular disease.”

It is also important to get enough Vitamin D which comes from being in the sun as it helps with your immune system and even battling depression. In an article by Health Matters, doctor Christine Ashour says, “Getting a mental break from work or a stressful situation like managing your life during a pandemic and going outside is important. It allows you to take a breath, relax and reset with a better frame of mind.”

Let’s talk mental

There are also many ways to use mental activities that can help to ground your mind. These include, naming different things in categories, using math or simply reciting a favorite poem or song. Mental techniques also help from distracting painful feelings and allow focus on the present moment. 

jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

Overall, grounding techniques can prove to be very helpful to the mind and they allow you to connect better with your mind and body. By practicing these techniques, it can promote a better mental state which affects your overall health and wellbeing. Next time you find yourself struggling with school or overwhelmed with life think of a grounding technique that can put you into a more positive mindset. 

Emily Adorno

Kent State '23

Hi! I am Emily, a senior journalism major at Kent State. I love thrifting, music, and fashion.