Style > Fashion

Getting Things Out of Your Closet for Spring Cleaning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Spring is finally here, another dreadful winter is over. The snow is melting, flowers are blooming and animals are coming out of hibernation. But another thing that comes with spring is spring cleaning. A reset for our lives to clear out anything dirty or unnecessary things mentally and physically. One of the biggest topics of spring cleaning is getting rid of clothes that are just taking up space in your closet.

But getting rid of clothes is hard, not knowing where to start and what you need to get rid of. Below are ways to start, what trends are out of style and how to stop from over piling your closet again with unnecessary clothes. 

You Gotta Let It Go

Deciding what clothes to let go of is the hardest part.

To help with that, start by organizing clothes that you have worn in the past month and ones you can’t remember when you wore last. From the clothes you haven’t worn often you start there deciding what needs to be tossed. Of course, if it’s out-of-season clothes, make your judgment call on what articles you don’t wear that often at that time of the season. 

Another difficult part of it all is having to part with certain items of clothing even though you know you need to get rid of them. But what good is that doing?

If you do have a hard time letting things go, a trick is to put them somewhere other than your closet and see if you think about the articles of clothing while getting dressed and think you can’t be without them. That can tell if you actually really like that item of clothing or you are just hanging on to something that needs to go. 

Britney Spears GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

That Was So Last Season 

It is hard to get rid of those clothes that are not in style anymore. They might bring nostalgia and were considered in style a couple of years ago but it’s time to let some styles die.

One of those is colored skinny jeans. Especially super skinny jeans in general. Since baggy unfitted jeans are in skinny jeans just don’t make the cut. Along with cold shoulder tops. Those tops are just a style that can never make a comeback. These are not clothes related but any Filas, Adidas and/or checkered Vans need to go they are very much out of date. They were shoes that were great hits of their time but are not making a very progressive comeback. Honestly, anything from the 2015 Tumblr, galaxy era needs to go.   

Of course, if any of these styles are your true style, there is no need to get rid of them. Everyone’s style is made of past, present and even future trends and is unique to everyone individually. There is no need to get rid of clothes that you truly love. 

See Ya Love GIF by Joe Millionaire - Find & Share on GIPHY

Breaking Old Habits 

I buy clothes that I never wear or that don’t fit my style. There is always the idea that you are going to make something new out of the clothes or branch out into a new style, but then you never do. Then those clothes pile up in my closet and never leave.

I have learned to only buy things that truly suit me. You have to completely visualize yourself wearing that item of clothing over and over with different pairings of clothing as well. Usually when shopping, right before you checkout analyze the items again to see if it’s clothing you truly want and see yourself wearing. Hopefully visualizing over and over a piece of clothing makes you narrow down if the garment is worth buying and having in your closet.

Bedroom Closet GIF by Nickelodeon - Find & Share on GIPHY
Rachel Ray

Kent State '24

Rachel is a senior at Kent State University majoring in Fashion Merchandising and minoring in Photojournalism. This is her third semester with HerCampus and second semester as Senior Editor. She is from Boulder, Colorado and loves music, photography and art.