This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

“Women aren’t funny.” WHAT A JOKE!  This horrifying stereotype has persisted for years and whoever believes such a phrase has clearly been looking in the wrong places for comedy. We have been blessed with the female stand-up comedy of Joan Rivers (RIP), Amy Schumer, Nikki Glaser, Wanda Sykes, Kathleen Madigan and Kathy Griffin. We have the actors and writers Tiffany Haddish, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Aubrey Plaza, Kristen Wiig, Ellen Degeneres. These are all giant names who we should all love and adore, but there are some female comics who don’ get the credit they deserve and are all pretty badass! They have the courage to stand on a stage preaching about the intricacies of women in heels. We have to give a round of applause for that alone!

Social media can be found for each woman for a daily dose of funnies on your feed. Additionally, hyperlinks can be found to every women’s jokes. Warning: Some jokes contain explicit or offensive material.

Aparna Nancherla

Aparna is an accomplished comedian, actress and writer who landed her biggest role this year in Comedy Central’s show Corporate as the lovingly self-loathing Grace. In the past, she’s appeared on Master of None, Bojack Horseman, Crashing and Inside Amy Schumer just to name a few shows. She has performed stand-up all over the country in theaters, on several late night talk shows like Conan and on Netflix’s The Standups. What sets her apart is her openness with her struggles with anxiety. Instead of allowing it to take over her life, she turns it into a joke and makes the situation relatable for everyone.

Twitter: @aparnapkin

Instagram: aparnapkin

Best Tweet: “if you can’t handle me at my depression then you don’t deserve me at my SURPRISE it’s anxiety now”

Chelsea Peretti

Twitter: @chelseaperetti

Instagram: chelsanity

Best Quote: “I’m Jewish and Italian, and I lucked out and got the nose of both cultures.”

Chelsea is winning television right now as the narcissistic, but lovable Gina Linetti on Brooklyn Nine-Nine. She loves to make fun of herself and make her flaws some of her most powerful assets. Check out her Netflix special “One of the Greats” to find ways to laugh at yourself, your family and the absurdity of life.

Ali Wong

Twitter: @aliwong

Instagram: aliwong

Best Quote: “I wanna be able to take a stroll on a sidewalk, see a quarter, and just keep walking.”

This woman taped a Netflix special while pregnant. That is FEMALE POWER! Her Netflix special “Baby Cobra” is not one to miss!

Kristen Schaal

Twitter: @kristenschaaled

Instagram: k.schaal

Best Quote: “Everybody’s trying to leave their mark on the world. That’s why there’s graffiti and babies.”

Kristen is one of the most authentic and successful comedians in the U.S. She does stand up describing herself as “weird” and unlike most other women around her. By being herself, she’s scored roles on 30 Rock, The Daily Show, Wilfred, etc. She has success with voice acting for the conniving, yet hilarious Louise Belcher in Bob’s Burgers and young Mabel Pines on Gravity Falls. She now costars in the apocalyptic Fox sitcom Last Man on Earth. The future holds so much more for Kristen and we should all respect her for letting her freak flag fly.

Jessica Williams

Twitter: @msjwilly

Instagram: msjwilly

Best Quote: “We’re all trying to catch up with Beyonce. We’re all running a race, and Beyonce is up there, and we’re all just trying to run and get there. That’s my motivation.”

Jessica started out as a member of the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre in Los Angeles doing improv comedy. From there, she went to be one of The Daily Show‘s best correspondents who represented black female America flawlessly. She is empowering young women across the nation (myself included) to be proud of their heritage, stand up for what they believe in and get involved with politics. You can soon see her take a leap in her career as she will be in Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald.

Nicole Byer

Twitter: @nicolebyer

Instagram: nicolebyer

Best Quote: “Remember the Great Depression when no one had any food or money? That’s me.”

Nicole is a fearless speaker who has appeared on the hilarious MTV hit Girl Code where she was very honest about the life of a young female. Her stand-up empowers women to love themselves no matter their size or color. You can now see Nicole on the new Netflix original Nailed It. I won’t explain! You have to see it for yourself.

Aida Rodriguez

Twitter: @FunnyAida

Instagram: funnyaida

Best Quote: “I choose to go where I’m celebrated, not tolerated.”

Aida made a name for herself when she made it on NBC’s Last Comic Standing for its eighth season. She finished in the to ten and proved to the world that she is a fearless and blunt woman who will not let the world shame her for being Puerto Rican or a single mother. She is now dominating the stage on HBOLatino and frequently tours, telling jokes about her daughter and her experience as a Latin woman in America.

Mae Martin

Twitter: @TheMaeMartin

Instagram: hooraymae

Mae has written and starred in countless Canadian sketch comedy programs and has toured the world with stand-up and musical comedy. At 31 years old, she has already won two Canadian Screen Awards. On and offstage, she is a lovable nerd who also represents the LGBT community in her routine. Her adorable quirkiness makes her feel like she’s your best friend even though she’s on a screen.

Best Quote: “I think some people are born gay, some achieve gayness and some have gayness thrust upon them.”

There are far too many women to name! Just to name a few more bonus comics, you must look up Tig Notaro, Sasheer Zamata, Jen Kirman, Garfunkel and Oates, Natasha Legerro, Morgan Murphy, Jenny Slate, Maria Bamford, Mindy Kaling, Amber Ruffin, Desi Lydic, Fortune Feimster, Iliza Shlesinger, Whitney Cummings, Taylor Tomlinson, Rhea Butcher, Michelle Wolf, Jenny Zigrino, Cameron Esposito, Leslie Jones AND MANY MORE! Support your female comics and prove everyone who says “women aren’t funny” WRONG!

In love with jokes, comprehensive sex ed and Stephen Colbert-- (Stephen, call me!) Kent State University Class of 2020, Current Freelance Journo Follow @MaSerra8 on Twitter and email mariaserra@hercampus.com for PR pitches!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.