Five ways to get the most from classes you hate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Written by Emily Baldwin.

Everyone has that one class (or a few) that just makes them groan. The temptation to reach for your smartphone or browse the web on your laptop is so hard to ignore. But you must resist this urge! You went to college to challenge yourself, and this time the challenge is to stay focused. There are many methods you can use to overcome it you just need to find what works for you. This list has a variety of practices to try, so why not start here? 

1. Participate

Okay, I know you’ve probably heard this before, but participating in class discussion and asking questions will really help you engage with the material. Being engaged will make time go by much faster since your mind will be occupied. This can be a difficult option in itself for some people, but it can be rewarding both academically and socially.

2.  Make your notes pretty

Some classes can clash harshly with your sense of creativity. Take on this conflict by making your notes exactly how you want them; you could organize them in different styles, color code them or even doodle within the notes. As long as you have the content you need written down you can design your notes to fit your needs while being fun.

3. Use sensory toys

If you are someone who is fidgety, going to classes you don’t care for can be physically hard to deal with. A solution to this is to keep your hands busy with sensory toys. There are many different types, but a few examples that you can easily bring to class are stress balls, play dough and tanglers.  

4. Bring some candy

When you are bored in class, it is nice to have something sweet to eat to get by. Hard candy and gum are an easy go-to, especially in some classrooms that don’t allow real food. Plus, if you eat that same flavor in the future, it may help you remember something for the exam! Just be mindful and try not annoy others around you.  

5. Find a study buddy

Being bored alone is awful. How about being bored with someone else? Well, it’s still not fun, but at least you can complain to each other while you both endure the lecture. Try finding someone around you who feels similarly about the class, and try to help each other to get through it. Then, later you can both study together and get the grade and a new friend in the process.

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.