Five quotes every fashionista should live by

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Quotes are one of the many ways you can find inspiration in your daily life. They can inspire you succeed, make you think differently and lift your spirits. Many inspiring people in the fashion industry have spoken powerful words still used to inspire generations years after their time. We can use their wise words of wisdom in hopes of becoming just as successful or even more successful than they were.  While there are many other inspiring quotes by great industry professionals, I felt that these quotes truly embody how to establish confidence in the fashion industry and elsewhere. 

“Always dress like you’re going to see your worst enemy,” Kimora Lee Simmons said.

This quote does not mean to literally dress like you are going to war against your nemesis. Typically when you know you’re going to see your least favorite person somewhere, you always want to be styled to perfection, so they may be envious of you. I like to interpret this quote as a reminder to always stay on top of my style game, no matter where I go or what the occasion. Competition is always a good reminder to keep your performance level high, because being successful in the fashion industry requires a lot of effort.

“If you wear things you adore, you just look better,” Margherita Missoni said.

I’ll admit I get a bit nervous when it comes to public speaking, but when I wear a cute outfit while presenting, I instantly feel more confident. Usually, when you wear an outfit you love, you feel more comfortable in it rather than totally out of your comfort zone. Owning your look is the best way to complete your outfit and instantly makes you look better. In the end of it all, style is about what you like, not what others are chasing after.

“Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak,” Rachel Zoe said.

My definition of style is an artistic representation of who you are, including mood, attitude and status. Visual artists often communicate their thoughts through non-verbal representations such paintings, sculptures, or even fashion design. People in the fashion industry convey their ideas through the garments and accessories they advertise, which can often be a very powerful message at times. I am a true believer that style should be a reflection of your inner self, not a reflection of someone else, which brings me to my next point.

“In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different,” Coco Chanel said.

You can easily replace the black v-neck in your closet once a year because they are generally inexpensive and found in most clothing stores. However, to replace a purse you bought in a market in London might prove to be a bit more difficult. All of the most successful designers and merchandisers in the industry have one thing in common: they express their style in a unique way. You can easily identify a Burberry garment from a Ralph Lauren garment because of how unique the different designer brands are, which should be the way your style is distinquished as well. To stand out in the industry, you should first identify your style so it will be easy to distinguish yourself from the herd of trend followers.

“Over the years I have learned that what is important in a dress is the woman who is wearing it,” Yves Saint Laurent said.

While wearing a cute outfit might boost your confidence level, it’s really your inner self that creates the confidence to make your outfit look much better. While fashion is fun and exciting, we have to remember that beauty is only skin deep and that what is on inside really counts most. Just like behind every successful man there is a great woman, behind every cute outfit there is a confident woman.

Ciao everyone! My name is Marion Kpandeyenge and I am currently a freshman at Kent State University, where I am majoring in Fashion Merchandising. I have a passion for fashion, but my love for writing holds a very special place in my heart.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.