This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

College can be one of the best times of your life: meeting new people, experiencing new things and becoming more independent. But on the flip side it can be one of the most difficult transitions you make, which can factor in your decision to stay or not. I compiled a list of how to keep fighting on for your education and hopefully encourage you to finish school.

1. If you feel like more money means less problems… Talk to the financial aid office at your school to find solutions for your financial issues. The school will try to help you out if you just ask by extending deadlines, finding loans online and just making the process go by more smoothly. You should also try to fill out scholarship applications. Scholarship applications are not just for high school students; many colleges offer scholarships to current students in order for them to progress through school more easily.           

2. If you are feeling homesick blues… Try to stay connected back home. Getting rid of home sickness is one of the most efficient ways to progress throughout college. When you’re missing home, you can only focus on home, leading to a dwindling interest in college. Instead of allowing home sickness to take over your thoughts, try to call home or your friends in order to still feel that connection. This way you feel less home sick and are able to focus on college.

3. If you are dispassionate about college… Find a major you are passionate about. There is nothing worse than doing something that you don’t enjoy. If you are feeling like you’re stuck in your major, try taking classes outside your major, talking to friends or advisors or going to events on campus that support different majors. You can also try the exploratory route by becoming an undeclared major. Kent State has a great exploratory program that helps students on their road to self discovery.

4. If you feel like you’re alone in college… Find an student organization to join. Student organizations are a great way to take your mind off of academics and meet new people. Kent State has over 400 student organizations so the possibilities of clubs you can join are endless. They range from media, like Her Campus, to cultura,l like the Kent African Student Association. By finding a club that fits your interests you will also find a group of people who have the same interests as well.

5. If you feel disconnected to your school… Try your hand at community service. Community service is a great way to give back to your community and feel a sense of a belonging. Kent State is great at offering students a chance to help out with Super Service Saturdays, a program that allows you to volunteer each Saturday of the month at a variety of non-profit organizations. They also coordinate the Campus Kitchen where you have the opportunity to prepare food for people in need.

6. If you are still skeptical about college… Look towards the future. Think about you future plans and what you need to do to accomplish them. Then see if being in college will help you accomplish these goals. If the answer is yes, continue to fight on for your education and finish strong. If the answer is no, maybe the atmosphere of the college you are currently at is not suitable for your needs. Remember that you have been blessed with an incredible opportunity to attend college that others dream of, so don’t take it for granted. Make necessary changes to have a college experience that is right for you.

Ciao everyone! My name is Marion Kpandeyenge and I am currently a freshman at Kent State University, where I am majoring in Fashion Merchandising. I have a passion for fashion, but my love for writing holds a very special place in my heart.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.