Wellness

Feeling Fruity? Four Quick and Simple Fruit-Based Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

I am currently a college student, who also likes to keep herself too busy. I have this bad habit of not eating regularly and probably not enough one day, then too much the next (I’m working on it LOL). However, I have always been a snacky kinda gal. I love having small quick snacks before bed, after work or while I am doing homework. Some of these snacks are my new to me as well, and the others I swear by. Living off campus has it benefits in regards to kitchen appliances, but these snacks can pretty much be made anywhere.

Peanut butter chocolate banana bites

These treats are the perfect midnight snack!

You will need

• Bananas
  • Peanut butter
  • Chocolate (I prefer dark chocolate).

Depending on how much you want to make will depend on the portions for these ingredients.

Start by cutting up your bananas into slices, not too thick, not too thin and then lay them all out on a plate or baking sheet (If you have parchment paper, I recommend using it).

Then take your peanut butter and spread it on every other banana slice.

After you have distributed your peanut butter, take your other banana slice and put it on top of the butter one. These are going to look like little sandwiches.

After that, stick them in the freezer for about 2 hours and give them time to harden and freeze.

Then you melt you chocolate! Typically I use baking morsels, but recently I have been using Dove Dark Chocolate.

Melt your chocolate 30-45 seconds at a time in the microwave and stir in between melting sessions. Once your chocolate is all melted, take a fork or even a toothpick and dip them in the chocolate. The amount of chocolate coverage is up to you!

After you have dipped all your bites into the chocolate, stick them back in the freezer for 15 minutes to cool the chocolate.

Smoothie bowls

I love smoothies, I especially love smoothie bowls. There are a lot of health benefits to making smoothies and they are perfect when you are on the go or want something light. However, I feel like smoothie bowls can be so expensive and I crave them a lot but have no means to buy them all the time.

You will need

• Frozen or non-frozen fruit
  • Veggies
  • Water or liquid of choice
  • Any extra additives

For example, I use nutrition powders, protein powders, chia seeds, peanut butter, etc.

I have this tiny magic bullet blender that was on sale for about $20 and it gets the job done. At your local grocery store, they will have bags of individual fruit or fruit medlies in various sized bags.

I use frozen fruit because it takes place of ice in the smoothies. Typically I will start by adding little bits of frozen fruit at a time to get it blended up before I add my extras into the smoothie, this helps avoid chunks in the smoothie.

When you first blend your fruit use about 1/3 of a cup of water, it helps the fruit soften up a bit. I will just keep blending and adding frozen fruit until I get the desired amount and consistency.

Keep in mind the frozen fruit should be more present than your liquid if you want it thick, which is ideal for smoothie bowls.

After it is all blended, pour your smoothie into a bowl and top it with whatever you like! I tend to sprinkle granola over the top, add chopped fruit, nuts and peanut butter.

my smootie recipes

Strawberry, banana and peanut butter

I start by adding a couple of frozen strawberries and a splash of water. I continue to add more and more strawberries, then once the cup is almost a strawberry smoothie, I break up a whole banana, add about 1 1/2 spoonfuls of peanut butter, a spoon full of chia seeds and blend!

Green smoothie

I absolutely swear by this smoothie, it is nutritional and yummy! I start by blending frozen mango, pinneaple and water, then add about half a banana. After that is blended, I add a handful of spinach and two pinches of kale.

*Chef’s kiss* It’s done!

Apple nachos

Apples are one of my favorite things to snack on. I found this idea when I was looking for something new to try to make at home.

You will need

• Apple
  • Peanut butter
  • Nutella
  • Honey

Cut up an apple or two into slices and lay them on a plate. Take some peanut butter and melt it slightly just to soften it up. After that take a spoon and drizzle it over your apples.

If you do not like peanut butter, you can for sure do this will Nutella or honey.

After you drizzle a topping of choice, you are going to top it some more with granola, maybe some raisins and sprinkle some cinnamon.

These are addicting!

DIY trail mix

This one is very self explanatory but I love the ability of customization for this snack!

You will need

• Mixed nuts
  • Freeze dried fruit
  • Yogurt covered rasins
  • Crasins
  • Dark chocolate morsels

Go to your local grocery store and pick a pack mixed nuts, salted or unsalted. Then the fun part begins. Typically I think when I have trail mix what do I pick out and eat?

For my trail mix I add freeze dried fruit, yogurt covered rasins, crasins, and dark chocolate morsels.

The sky is the limit, have fun with it!

If you are as snacky as I am, you’ll love these! I would love to see if anyone makes these or try their own version on the recipes! If you do, please send.

Melina Cavella

Kent State '24

Hi! My name is Melina Cavella, and this is my first year being involved with Her Campus. I am currently a Fashion Merchandising at Kent State University. Her Campus has given me a new found enjoyment for writing, and I constantly feel encouraged by the amazing women that are in this chapter with me!