This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

When you think of the city of Detroit, the word fashion does not normally come to mind…but it should. Detroit is making a come back and the fashion front is no exception. The Detroit fashion industry is not part of everyday conversation, but it is there, and there are events, designers and companies to prove it.

Designer John Varvatos was CFDA Men’s Designer of the Year in 2001 and 2005, and was the GQ Designer of the year in 2007. Before starting his own fashion house in 2000 he worked for Polo Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein. Fun fact, he invented the boxer brief while at Calvin Klein saying, “We just cut off a pair of long johns and thought, this could be cool…” He also collaborated with converse unintentionally creating the “laceless sneaker” which is now the brand’s second-best-selling shoe. Varvatos is clearly very established in the fashion industry. He is not only a designer, but an inventor and innovator as well.

However, you can never forget your roots, and his are planted in Detroit. He was born in Detroit and was raised in the suburb of Allen Park, Michigan. He graduated from Eastern Michigan University. Varvatos accredits his interest in fashion to his obsession with rock ‘n roll music. Growing up in Motown was one of his most prominent inspirations and obsessions.

In April of 2015, Woodward Avenue was shut down for Varvatos’ homecoming which was centered around the opening of his store in downtown Detroit. The store is 4,600-square-feet of beauty at 1500 Woodward in the Wright-Kay building, which was once home of the Schwankovsky Temple of Music. The building’s history clearly enhances the Varvatos brand.

The inside of the store has a rock ‘n roll feel; it is the perfect combination of high-end fashion and the city of Detroit itself. The Detroit News said, “As much as it was a celebration of Varvatos and rock ‘n’ roll, it was a celebration of the city itself.” It was a great milestone in the resurrection of downtown Detroit; it had to start somewhere and there is nothing stronger than a Detroiter’s pride. “This is the beginning here of what hopefully will be an incredible shopping district for several blocks along Woodward Avenue,” said Dan Gilbert, local business man and founder or Quicken Loans. Varvatos went from living in a one bathroom, 1000 square-foot house with seven people to being the face of Detroit’s comeback.

It is not too common to find a tag on your latest purchase that reads “Made in America.” However, at Shinola, not only is it made in America, but it is made in Detroit: at 485 West Milwaukee Street to be exact. Shinola, which was launched in 2013, is a Detroit-based company that specializes in watches, leather goods and bicycles. Strange combination, right? But, whatever they are doing, they are clearly doing right.

Shinola was started on the ideals of reviving the city of Detroit and bringing industry back to America, “We know there’s not just history in Detroit, there is a future,” says Shinola, “It’s why we are here. Making an investment in skill, at scale. Creating a community that will thrive through excellence of craft and pride of work. Where we will reclaim the making of things that are made well. And define American luxury through American quality.” Shinola has their watch factory downtown Detroit and their bicycles are assembled right in their store, creating a job market for the city.

One of the coolest things about Shinola is that they offer tours of their factory. Since most luxury goods are manufactured overseas, this is a rare opportunity. “I think my favorite part of the tour would be seeing all of the intricate parts of the watches being put together, by hand, in a ‘dust-free’ environment,” said Rob Pesick, an avid watch (and Shinola) lover. “I loved the part where they showed us where the watches were made. We had to wear hairnets and booties to prevent dust and hair from shoes floating around. It truly showed the care and precision involved in the process of making a Shinola watch” said Adam Grodman, Junior Political Science major at Michigan State University. Shinola takes pride in the large amount of care put into each watch they make, and wants the public to see that. This shows that Shinola is a truly unique company with important ideals in a one-of-a-kind city. The Shinola store, and the entire block on which it is located, is an upscale area in a city which is often seen in shambles.

The Detroit Garment Group (DGG) is at the head of the Detroit fashion industry and Detroit’s first ever Garment District, founded by Karen Buscemi. “I started DGG because I wanted to do more for our fashion community. I quickly realized, while we have many talented designers, and multiple fashion programs at area colleges, most in our fashion community have no business education/knowledge whatsoever. And if they want to stay in Michigan and start their own companies, without a strong business education, they are going to spend a lot of money and not get very far with their ventures,” Buscmei said.  

This group emphasizes their charitable efforts on increasing the knowledge of and economic development opportunities for Michigan’s growing fashion industry. They are providing jobs in Detroit, for business owners, aspiring designers and cut and sew manufacturers of all types. “Last spring I attended Teen Vogue Fashion University. During my time there many of the speakers stressed that you don’t need to move to a big city (like New York) to find opportunities in the fashion industry,” said Tori Ewald, former DGG intern and Junior at Hope College, majoring in Business Management with a minor in Studio Art. The DGG is doing just that, bringing the industry to Detroit.

“Before my internship with DGG I did not know that anything relating to fashion even existed in Detroit, but now I realize that it is a movement that just keeps getting bigger. I am a true believer in positive growth in Detroit and DGG affirmed in my mind that the city is transforming.” It may not look like anything is brewing on the outside, but there are big plans behind the curtain. “It was awesome to see how much creative potential Detroit has and to witness the behind the scenes of how Detroit is growing. DGG has opened my eyes to a whole new part of the fashion industry and it’s so cool to be apart of such an up and coming movement. I was also able to research the cut and sew industry in Michigan which is something I previously knew nothing about. Overall my internship was a big learning experience and allowed me to discover more about available career paths and opportunities.”

The Detroit Garment Group has four different fashion programs, FashionSpeak, an annual conference that focuses on the business end of fashion. The goal of the conference is to “Keep Michigan Talent in Michigan” by educating both students and professionals in the field with the tools and skills that are needed to successfully run a business. This year, FashionSpeak was composed of five, 70-minute workshops lead by nationally known members of the fashion industry. This year’s line up included speakers from Taubman, a company based on creating world class shopping with headquarters in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, and designer Kevan Hall. The DGG also has the Industrial Sewing Certificate Program, which targets people who are unemployed and the underemployed and provides training in a skilled trade that makes a living wage. Acoording to Buscemi, there is still more to come. “The DGG Fashion Incubator, which launches this Monday, and then the garment district, which we are currently working on and hopefully will come to fruition within one year.”

“I hope to put Michigan’s fashion industry on the national map. I also hope to make Michigan the state for the cut and sew industry. Not just for apparel but all types of cut and sew manufacturing, from automotive to furniture” said DGG founder, Karen Buscemi. “In 10 years, I see Detroit as the hub of our fashion industry, with a thriving, well-rounded garment district, and fashion professionals making and succeeding here.”

Nothing is impossible if you set your mind to it, and Detroit has learned that first hand. This is only the beginning. Look out, Detroit is coming.

Click to learn more about John Varvatos, Shinola, and the Detroit Garment Group.

Sammy Pesick is a Senior Fashion Merchandising major at Kent State University with minors in Fashion Media and Marketing. She has a passion for food and a weakness for designer purses while polka dots are her aesthetic. Sammy is currently the President and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Kent State where she strives to share her love of Her Campus with the Kent State community.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.