This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Going off to college as an incoming college freshman is both nerve racking and exciting. Freshmen, you are about to enter the most exhilarating years of your life where you have the opportunity to start to become independent. For most of you, this will be the first time living on your own away from home. Wondering what should you bring and what should you leave behind? You might think you need your five favorite heels or your formal dress (you never know), but do you really? Overpacking or forgetting to pack certain necessities is extremely common, but a lot of students don’t live close enough to make a quick trip home.

To avoid as many freakouts as possible, HC has compiled a list of the essentials to remember as you prepare for dorm room life.

Miscellaneous 

• Health Insurance card (helpful when you come down with something and have to make a trip to the health center)
  • Social security card (this is for students who plan to work on campus)
  • Driver’s license
  • A wristlet or lanyard to safely store your flashcard, license, room key, laundry card, etc. 
  • Headphones
  • Cell phone and charger 
  • Cleaning supplies (Swiffer, Windex and Pledge. Kent State dorms provide trash bags and brooms located in the laundry rooms)

Stationary and School Supplies 

• Laptop (while a laptop isn’t a necessity, it will be extremely helpful to have your own. If not, there are computers in almost every building on Kent’s campus)
  • Printer (also not a necessity, but will be super convenient. Printing is available in some halls and the library, but for a small fee)
  • Printer paper (if bringing a printer)
  • Notebooks, folders and/or binders (this all depends on your notetaking preference and storage. Some prefer writing notes in a binder or a folder while others take notes on their laptops or tablets) 
  • Pens, pencils and highlighters 
  • Sticky notes 
  • Tape
  • Scissors
  • Stapler and staples or paper clips
  • Ruler 
  • Weekly Planner  (SUPER IMPORTANT! A planner is the number one way for you to stay organized with assignments, extracarriculars and meetings) 
  • Backpack

Bedding

• Twin XL sheets and comforter 
  • Foam topper 
  • Pillows and pillow cases 
  • An extra set of sheets 
  • Throw blanket 

Bath and Toiletries

• Shampoo and conditioner 
  • Body wash 
  • Flip flops or shower shoes
  • Toothbrush and toothpaste 
  • Bath towel 
  • Hair turban 
  • Floss 
  • Shower caddy 
  • Makeup and makeup remover
  • Hair dryer
  • Straightener
  • Curling iron
  • First-aid necessities (this includes bandaids, neosporin, advil, allergy medication, inhalers, gauze, etc.)
  • Deoderant 
  • Hair spray 
  • Nail polish and remover
  • Lotions
  • Shaving cream and razors
  • Sunscreen

Decor – Check out KSU’s Hallways Handbook for rules on what you can and can’t have in your dorm room.

• Rugs
  • Door-hanging mirror 
  • Hanging whiteboard 
  • Hanging lights (Only certain desk lamps are allowed in the dorm rooms, but built-in lights are already located within the desks.)
  • Posters 
  • Pictures and picture frames 
  • TV

Clothing – KSU dorm rooms come with one closet and a set of three drawers for each student. There is room underneath the beds for collapsable storage if more is needed.

• Sandals
  • Tennis shoes 
  • Slippers
  • Rain boots 
  • Pajamas 
  • Workout gear 
  • Shorts, tanks and tees
  • At least one set of business casual attire
  • Sweatpants and sweatshirts 
  • Jeans
  • Bathing suit 
  • Bras, panties and socks 
  • Light coat 
  • Winter coat
  • Leggings and yoga pants 
  • Plus whatever else you wear on a regular basis

Kitchen supplies – While students like to bring snacks and food from home, Kent State has three markets on campus that provide a variety of grocery options. Make a trip to Rosie’s, Eastway Market or Prentice Cafe the day you move in and don’t worry about lugging tubs of food from home.

• Microwavable plates, bowls and mugs
  • Paper plates, bowls, cups and utensils
  • Can opener 
  • Ziploc bags 
  • Plastic wrap and aluminum foil
  • Dish soap and a sponge
  • Paper towels 
  • Tupperware
  • Chip clips

There are a lot of luxury items you can bring with you to college that aren’t listed above: a Keurig, futon, bath robe, DVD player, board games, water filter pitcher, throw pillows, etc. It all depends on how much you think it will be used, whether you want to move it all in and if you’ll have the room to fit it all. If it’s something you really can’t live without and it fits and follows all rules and regulations, then by all means, bring it! Above is just a list of the absolute essentials you should bring with you for your first year at Kent State. 

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.