This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

As March, International Women’s Month, comes to a close, I want to highlight a few of my favorite girl bosses who are not only doing great things for female empowerment but for the whole of society in general.

Sophia Bush

I first discovered Sophia Bush when I watched the tv show One Tree Hill, and from there I continued to follow her all over social media. Sophia seems to focus much of her time on political issues and is not afraid to stand up for what she believes in. She expresses her liberal views on Twitter mostly, however, she does go to many summits and even spoke at the LA Women’s March in 2018. She is also a proud voter and around the time of elections, she has been a big proponent of getting people to register to vote. I love her because she fights for the rights of everyone despite their gender, race, or sexuality. 

Olivia Wilde

The next woman who I think deserves to be recognized is Olivia Wilde. Not only is she an actress and an activist, but she is also a mother. I follow her on Instagram, and she is quite active in posting what she is up to. While she is a director and actress, she also posts a lot about her support for women’s rights, March For Our Lives, the #metoo movement and the education of women in third world countries. There are also really cute pictures of her two little kids which are a bonus! In addition, she just recently announced she is going to be hosting a podcast in which she interviews all different women on their stories and experiences. 

Cassie Scerbo

As an alumnus of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, Cassie Scerbo has been outspoken in the March For Our Lives campaign since the devastating mass shooting that occurred there early in 2018. She participated in and spoke at the march that was held just a few weeks after the tragedy. To this day she continues to express her support for her alma mater and continues to fight for gun control rights. Cassie is also a supporter of the Boo2Bullying campaign which fights against bullying and educates communities on the effects. 

Iskra Lawrence

The final woman I think deserves a shoutout is Iskra Lawrence. She is known as the spokeswoman for the #AerieReal campaign which is all about empowering women to love and accept their bodies no matter what shape or size. The campaign also focuses on no retouching as they believe advertisements you see should be authentic. Iskra has opened up about her struggles with body image and eating disorders in hopes that young girls who may be going through the same issues will find confidence within themselves. She is also known to visit college campuses across the United States to talk about body positivity and self-love. As women we have a duty to empower each other daily and stand up for what we believe is right. All of these women, as well as many others, embody what it means to be a strong, confident, and positive woman. Happy International Women’s Month to all my ladies out there and remember that you are strong, beautiful, and capable of anything you put your mind to. 

Natalie is a freshman fashion merchandising student with a double minor in marketing and fashion media at Kent State. At home in Springboro, Ohio she enjoys spending time with friends, family, and her dog, Maci. Her interests include fashion, beauty, lifestyle, dogs and much more! In high school, she danced and participated in her high school's choir and theater program. While her studies are very important to her, she does enjoy being involved in many clubs and organizations including the Fashion Student Organization, Modista, and of course Her Campus. She hopes to one day live in a big city working for a fashion magazine, and just generally doing what she loves.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.