Each Zodiac Sign is Ruled by a Greek God or Goddess, Here’s Yours

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Each sign is associated with a planet that is ruled by a god or goddess, which usually coincides with the ruler of that zodiac sign. However, there are some signs like Gemini, Capricorn and Aquarius who are associated with gods who don’t rule their planet. These gods and goddesses can tell us a lot about each sign and how they act and react.

Alongside the gods and goddesses, I have attached a meme for each zodiac sign because they just make sense. Be sure to check out your moon and rising signs too!

Aries (March 21 to April 19): Ares, God of War

Because Aries is ruled by Mars, the god Ares is their ruler.

Aries’ are courageous, confident, moody and honest. You attack first, ask questions later. You truly embody the fire of your sign with your actions and leadership. While you have a harsh exterior, you crave sensitivity and compassion.

Your love language is probably cursing everyone you love out, lovingly <3

Taurus (April 20 to May 20): Aphrodite, Goddess of Love and Beauty

Taurus is a Venus sign, whose ruler is Aphrodite.

Taurus is also an earth sign, who are seen as chill, responsible, stubborn and practical. Aphrodite is known for her possessiveness, just as Taurus’ are. You are very picky, and you’re used to getting your way. You’re a lovely person with a heart of gold whose hobbies are relaxing and spending money.

Your love language is being spoiled.

Gemini (May 21 to June 20): Athena, Goddess of Wisdom and Military Victory

Gemini, while ruled by the planet Mercury, fall under Athena’s bracket.

Athena’s knowledge helps Geminis to learn quickly and exchange ideas. Geminis are also fierce friends, just like Athena. They are chatty, affectionate and indecisive.

A lot of people view you as two-faced, but this is because you don’t let people see the real you until you fully trust them. You’re scared of vulnerability and rejection, but you love being loved and crave the spotlight.

Your love language is being told you’re right.

Cancer (June 21 to July 22): Artemis, Goddess of the Moon, Hunt and Childbirth

Cancers are ruled by the beautiful moon, who is associated with Artemis.

Cancers are very emotional, loyal and suspicious. Artemis had a way with civilians and became the favorite goddess, just like cancers are able to connect with people with their strong emotions and passions. You over-analyze everything to an unnecessary degree, but this is so you can be prepared for every possible outcome.

Your love language is security and dependability.

Leo (July 23 to August 22): Apollo, God of the Sun and Light

Connected to the sun, Leos are fiery and passionate, like Apollo.

A lover of music and mayhem, Apollo is the perfect ruler for Leos. Apollo was also seen as the god of truth, which is very telling for Leos. Leos are strong, passionate and self-centered. They aren’t afraid to tell you the truth, no matter what.

You also aren’t afraid to put yourself out there, no matter what people may say or think. Leos are best suited to leadership roles because they love being the center of attention and they love for people to listen to them. You are someone who gets angry easily, but you tend to give people too many chances.

Your love language is being put on a pedestal and adored.

Virgo (August 23 to September 21): Hermes, God of Communication and Trickery

Virgo is ruled by Mercury, which is Hermes’ planet.

Virgos are hardworking, analytical and overly critical of themselves and others. Hermes helps Virgos express their emotions, but can also make them hide their true feelings behind jokes and laughs. You are quite stubborn, but you love to have someone who has your back when making decisions.

Your love language is organization and words of affirmation.

Libra (September 22 to October 22): Aphrodite, Goddess of Love and Beauty

Libras, like Taurus’, are ruled by Aphrodite’s Venus.

You are honest and cooperative, but you hold grudges and would rather avoid confrontations. You love to know everyone’s business and tell your best friend. You want to collect all the facts, while also being able to string them into an entertaining story. You can be very political and worry about what’s going on in the world, but you are also very creative and love fashion.

Your love language is harmony and being told you have style.

Scorpio (October 23 to November 21): Hades, God of the Underworld, Minerals, and being a bad bitch

Hello fellow Scorpios, we really lucked out with this one. Because we’re ruled by Pluto (the absolute best planet) our ruling god is Hades (the absolute best god; and we get the cutest mythological dog, Cerberus <3).

Scorpios are seen as loyal, dark and mysterious, just like the King of the Underworld. You are passionate, resourceful and secretive. You take a while to trust someone and share your real feelings, but once you do, you feel a million times lighter. You are also materialistic and just love things.

You are someone who stands by your words and actions, even when you’re in the wrong. It’s a nightmare to be in a fight with you because you refuse to admit when you’re wrong, and you hold grudges like no other.

Your love language is being given gifts and being trusted.

Also just a quick aside, is Hades being our ruler why Scorpios are cold all the time??? Like, we’re always cold. Did Hades give being in the underworld give us all Raynaud’s?? I really don’t get it. Because of this struggle, I’m going to give us another meme. We deserve it.

Sagittarius (November 22 to December 21): Zeus, God of the Sky and Thunder

Jupiter is Sagittarius’ planet, which belongs to the King of the gods, Zeus.

Sagittarius’ are idealistic, funny, and impatient. You have no qualms about telling someone how it is, no matter how undiplomatic. On the outside, you are very confident in yourself, but on the inside, you are a ball of anxiety. You worry a lot about what other people think, but this doesn’t stop you from putting yourself first. You are very witty and can crack a joke at the drop of a hat.

Your love language is having freedom while also knowing someone is there when you need them.

Capricorn (December 22 to January 19): Pan, who rules over Forests and Woodlands, Flocks and Shepherds

Capricorns are an earth sign ruled by Saturn. While Saturn is Kronos’ planet, Capricorns are ruled by Pan, who loves nature, music and running wild.

Capricorns are stubborn (notice an earth sign pattern here?), disciplined and unforgiving. You tend to have a know-it-all attitude while simultaneously having no idea what’s going on. You are picky, but when you find something you like you hold fast to it. You also can remember every time anyone has wronged you, and you won’t forget.

You make a great manager because you are responsible and efficient. You love to take on projects, even if they never get finished.

Your love language is being given something hand-made and being promoted.

Aquarius (January 20 to February 18): Prometheus, God of Forethought and Creation

Aquarius is ruled by Saturn and Uranus, but their god is Prometheus who is a master craftsman and tricker.

Aquarius’ are caring, temperamental and original. You get overwhelmed easily, even when you are more than capable of doing the task at hand. You love to hang out with friends and fight for things or people you care about. You tend to run from emotional expression and would prefer not to have to comfort someone when they’re upset because you think you’re too awkward.

However, you are a great listener and when you make promises, you keep them. You hate dull situations and will liven them up with your humor.

Your love language is creating things for yourself and others and making people laugh.

Pisces (February 19 to March 20): Poseidon, God of the Sea

Pisces is ruled by the last of the three major gods, Poseidon. This is because their planet is Neptune.

Pisces are intuitive, wise and overly-trusting. You have an overwhelming desire to escape reality, which causes you to dive deep into literature, TV or music. You are independent and like to be alone, but there is a thin line between being alone and being lonely.

You are artistic and love to create playlists that match each and every one of your moods. You dislike being criticized, so you tend to keep your thoughts to yourself. You are a dreamy being who has a sixth sense. Trust your gut, it’s usually right.

Your love language is having a movie marathon where you can cry unabashedly and having someone who understands you and your struggles.

Every person is different, but zodiac signs can give us an idea of who someone is in a general sense. Knowing someone’s ruling god or goddess can also be helpful and indicative of who they are.

I hope you enjoyed reading about your sign and ruling Greek god or goddess. Take pride in your knowledge about your sign and if something makes you uncomfortable, sit in that uncomfort and try to figure out where it comes from.

Zodiacs can tell you a lot about yourself and other people, and hopefully, you enjoy finding things out about each sign as much as I do!

Love,

A zodiac-enthusiastic scorpio :)))

Emilee Keaggy

Kent State '25

I'm a lover of reading, music, movies, astrology, and food! I'm a freshman at Kent who's interested in psychology, english, and fashion. I'm an avid magazine reader and I live for Vogue's September issue (and free tote!) every year.