This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Spring break is once again just around the corner. If you have not already paid for your Cancun vacation or your Panama party getaway, fear not. Here are five awesome and relatively inexpensive ideas for SB2016. 

1. Take a cross-country road trip.

No car? No problem. Lake Shore Limited, and the Zephyr, have you covered. These Amtrak railways offer cross-country passes to get you from New York to California and vice versa for around $400 roundtrip. Get ready for the adventure of a lifetime, no alcohol necessary. If you are wondering how to get to New York City from Kent State, I’ve got you covered. All you have to do is take the Parta Bus to Tower City in Cleveland, and from there, a $50, yes $50 MegaBus ticket can get you to New York City in one day. 

2. Take an alternative Kent State spring break

Travel to New York City, Washington D.C., Chicago, or several major cities in Ohio this spring break. Not only can you earn your ELR (Experiential Education Requirement) through these alternative spring break options, but you will also gain priceless experiences to add to your resume. Prices range from $100-500 dollars per trip. Have a productive break! 

3. Travel to Logan, Ohio

That probably sounds like the last thing you’d want to do, but it is actually the location of Hocking Hills, one of the best hiking and outdoors destinations nationwide. Not only is it one of the top five stargazing locations in North America, but it is also totally affordable. Get a group of friends together and stay in one of their fully-furnished log cabins. Enjoy hiking, stargazing and other exciting outdoor activities for a break from mundane schoolwork. This little adventure should not cost you over $200. 

4. Give Back

There is nothing more rewarding than doing something and expecting nothing in return. Well…except maybe adding a little volunteer experience to your resume. This spring break, consider traveling to Costa Rica, Thailand, India and more to work for a cause of your choosing. The cost of doing something this great: priceless. 

5. Earn money

Some of us may not be great at multi-tasking, and that’s no problem, most of us are full-time students. Use this break to earn some extra cash for the rest of the semester…you definitely won’t be regretting that decision. Most businesses hire during breaks because many students leave and businesses become understaffed. This could be your opportunity to gain a job not just for break, but for the rest of your college career. Another opportunity to gain some extra money for whatever your needs may be is to use websites like care.com, where you can babysit with no contract. Finally, if you really want to earn some money, look to websites like Poshmark, Ebay, or even Etsy, and sell some of that old junk that you have lying around. Someone’s trash is, someone else’s treasure.

*all images courtesy of weheartit.com

Y K

Kent State

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.