Dealing with an Eating Disorder at Kent State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

A couple weeks ago, the organization Body Acceptance Movement (BAM) hosted National Eating Disorder Week on campus. They hosted different events on topics such as how to treat an eating disorder and they had a nutrition presentation.

According to ANAD.org 91 percent of women on a college campus have attempted to control their weight through dieting. Not everyone who diets is in need of losing weight, and not everyone that is losing weight is doing it in a healthy manner. Out of the 91 percent, 25 percent of college-aged women engage in bingeing and purging as a weight management technique.

There are much healthier ways to lose weight and control it! Kent State’s campus and the Kent community have a lot of outlets that you can reach out to for help if you believe that you have an eating disorder.

Anorexia and Bulimia are not the only eating disorders, and you do not have to be a female to be affected. However, women are more likely to develop one. Overeating is also considered an eating disorder.

There are many ways to receive help on and near Kent’s campus. For one, we do have BAM on our campus! They are a lovely student-run group that promotes positive body images for everyone. They strive to educate, guide and support students toward a lifestyle of body acceptance through events, advocacy and awareness.

If you are interested in joining, email KentstateBAM@gmail.com!

We also have a very good psychological service on campus. Therapy is nothing to be ashamed of. Everyone needs a listening ear, especially when you are in college and you have every little thing and deadline to worry about.

Psychological Services on Campus (Located on the 2nd floor of the Deweese Health Center): (330)-672-2487

An eating disorder is something that you want to take care of immediately. It is something that can potentially be harmful to you in ways that you don’t know about. It can cause enamel erosion and even heart failure.

If you do not feel comfortable enough to go on campus, there are two local psychologists that specialize in helping those with eating disorders. Their names are Denise Eslinger and Jill Jividen.

Denise Eslinger: (440)-525-2002

Jill Jividen: (330)-591-9515

If you need help, and it is 2 a.m., do not worry because Kent State does have a 24/7 nurse’s hotline. They are there to provide you with the support you need even when you don’t think anyone is there for you.

Nurse’s Hotline: (330)-672-2326

Living with an eating disorder is really tough, and feels like it controls your life, but don’t worry, that will end. Kent offers a variety of services to help you take that eating disorder by the reigns and end it! Believe in yourself, because you are be-YOU-tiful! 

Danie Minor

Kent State

Hey there! My name is Danie Minor, and I am a recent graduate of Kent State. I was a PR major who minored in Fashion Media Writing. I am currently on the job hunt and would love to work within the lifestyle PR realm. I am a city girl from the D.C. metro area. Make sure you check out my personal blog: Definingdanie.com! You can also find me on socialite @danieminor13!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.