Conquering the End of 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Another year is almost over. Can you believe that it is almost 2018? Now that it is almost December, it is a perfect time to reflect on the past 11 months. This might have been the best year of your life, or it could have been a struggle at times. Regardless of how these past 11 months have gone, it is important that we look forward and try to finish 2017 with a bang. Here are some simple ideas to keep you motivated for the rest of 2017. 

1 year = 365 new opportunities 

As the new year quickly approaches, it is important to remember that each day is a new opportunity. This year still has so many great opportunities for learning and achievement. I know that sometimes it can be hard to wake up motivated and ready for each day. With finals approaching, it can be easy to put things off till the last minute. I encourage you to try and be on top of your game when it comes to your education. Try studying a little bit everyday for your exams. You have been given the amazing opportunity to get an education. I think that it is important that we use this opportunity to better ourselves not only for the rest of 2017, but for the next few years as well. 

Do something today that your future self will be thank you for

2017 is still full of opportunities. With that in mind, I try to make decisions that will benefit me in future years to come. I encourage you to make more time for your friends and family. If you do this, when you look back on 2017 you will remember all the memories that you made. Simply doing the things that you enjoy can make an ordinary day special. Whether you enjoy hanging out with a group of friends, or reading your favorite book, give yourself time to relax and enjoy yourself. If you continue to do activities that make you smile, you will truly enrich your everyday life. 

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations. 

This quote is something that I relate to personally. If you have had a rough year, then you know how hard it can be to turn it all around. This quote is corny, but true. There is still plenty of time in the year for your luck to change. It is never too late to focus on the things that truly make you happy on a daily basis. For me the beginning of this year was difficult. I started keeping myself busy with things that I enjoy, and strategically surrounded myself with family and friends. No matter what you have gone through, or are currently going through there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

The new year is always an exciting time. It is a time for new beginnings, and a fresh start. Why not start a new beginning now? It is never too late in the year to start focusing on yourself and what truly matters to you. I hope that these points will help you get through the rest of 2017, and help you have an amazing fresh start to 2018. 

Emily Wiegand is a junior early childhood education major with a special education minor at Kent State University. She is from Amherst, Ohio and loves to spend her extra time drinking iced coffee, or eating gummy worms. She enjoys listening to her favorite podcasts, journaling under a fuzzy blanket, and planning her whole week in her planner. She is looking forward to pursuing her love for writing on Her Campus. In the future, Emily wants to be a 1st grade teacher and she wants to leave her mark on the world by inspiring those around her.          
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.