A closer look at Kent State’s 2016 homecoming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Kent State is celebrating its 2016 homecoming on Sept. 23 through Oct. 1. When you think of homecoming you may think of football, the homecoming dance back when you attended high school, drinking and parties or parades. While it is a combination of all of those things, except for the homecoming dance, it means so much more to other people. Homecoming is really a time for alumni to return to their alma mater to celebrate and reminisce about all of the good times they had while they were students at Kent State. It is also a time for everyone to celebrate the home that Kent State has been for four or more years of their life. So invite your friends and even your family to enjoy some of the following events that Kent State will be hosting during this year’s homecoming.

Wednesday Sept. 28

Spirit Day: Hosted by the Schools of Communication Studies and Visual Communication Design. Students can stop by for a snack, enter for some giveaways and check out some organizations to get involved in. 

Location: Outside of the art building  Time: 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Williamson House Grand Opening and Celebration: Students can stop by to celebrate the grad opening of the new location for the Women’s Center and Relationship Violence Support Services Office. Discover new events, initiatives and ways to get involved. Also, there will be food! 

Location: 1200 E. Main St. Kent, OH Time: 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Bounce Madness: A variety of inflatable bounce houses for you and your friends to enjoy, along with some cotton candy!

Location: Manchester field Time: 5 p.m.

Global issues forum: The School of Communication Studies will host a forum where experts will discuss the connection between nationalism and how it’s portrayed in the media.

Location: Kent Student Center (KSC) in rooms 306 A, B and C  Time: 7 p.m.

Late Night Spirit Skate: Join this year’s homecoming court for some late night skating, free giveaways, food and prizes. Don’t forget to wear blue and gold!

Location: Kent State ice arena Time: 10:30 p.m.

Thursday Sept. 29

“(dis)ABLED BEAUTY” Museum Reception: A free reception to celebrate the museum’s new design-focused survey of assistive and adaptive devices. Free drinks!

Location: Rockwell atrium Time: 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Kesha/PartyNextDoor concertI think the event title says it all … come see Kesha and PartyNextDoor in concert! 

Location: M.A.C Center  Time: Doors open at 6 p.m. and the concert begins at 7 p.m.

Friday Sept. 30

Second annual book festival: A celebration of all local Kent authors, including faculty. There is even an opportunity to get your book signed!

Location: KSU bookstore Time: 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.

JMC Alumni and Friends Taylor Awards Ceremony and Reception: An honoring of The School of Journalism and Mass Communication’s 2016 alumni/friends award winners. 

Location: First Energy Auditorium, Franklin Hall  Time: 4:30 p.m.

Shabbat with Hillel: Join Hillel for Friday night services and a dinner following. 

Location: Cohn Jewish Student Center  Time: 5 p.m.

Centennial Award Celebration: A celebration of three graduates who are being recognized for their achieved success and contribution towards the field of communication studies. 

Location: Moulton Hall Ballroom Time: 5:30 p.m.

Alumni Awards Ceremony: A celebration of Kent State’s most outstanding and recognized alumni. RSVP is required and there is a fee for attending.

Location: KSU Hotel and Conference Center Time: 6:30 p.m.

Homecoming International Celebration: Students and alumni will showcase a variety of cultures and performances from around the world. 

Location: KSC Ballroom  Time: 7:30 p.m.

Homecoming Step Show: The Integrated Greek Council will host its step show where sororities and fraternities battle it out for the title of Homecoming Step Show Champion. RSVP required and a fee for attendance. 

Location: Cartwright Hall Time: 7 p.m.

Karaoke: Come be your favorite pop star and sing your heart out in front of a bunch of strangers.

Location: Quaker Steak and Lube Time: 8 p.m.

Real Late Reels: Watch “Popstar never stop never stopping” with your friends while making new ones!

Location: Kiva Time: 10 p.m.

Saturday, October 1

Sixteenth Annual Bowman Cup 5k Race: RSVP required. Come run with your fellow classmates, alumni and community members in the race named after KSU’s former president Dr. George Bowman. 

Location: Student Recreation and Wellness Center Time: 8 a.m. 

DiversiFEST; A Celebration of Culture: Held during and after the parade, this celebration of culture will host games, entertainment and lunch.

Location: Williamson House Time: 10 a.m.

Homecoming Parade: Watch your favorite sports teams, campus organizations, community organizations and business as they march through the ciy of Kent.       

Location: Main St.  Time: 10 a.m.

Blue and Gold Line Campus Tours: Want to show off your campus to your friends and family? Jump on Lolly the Trolley!

Location: Throughout campus Time: 11a.m. to 2 p.m.

May 4th Visitor’s Center Open House: Check out the May 4th museum and memorial for a quick and worthwhile history lesson on what happened on May 4, 1970. 

Location: 101 Taylor Hall Time: 11 a.m.

Men’s Alumni Lacrosse Game: Alumni lacrosse will go head-to-head against our current club team. RSVP required. You can contact Matt Brown at 330-283-0843 or mwblife@gmail.com for tickets.

Location: The Commons at Kent Main Campus Time: noon

Kiss on the K: Couples who met at Kent State will gather with others to celebrate their love by sharing a kiss on the K. 

Location: Risman Plaza Time: noon

Tailgating: Join different groups in tailgating before the football game. 

Location: Dix Stadium parking lot Time: noon to 3:30 p.m.

Kent State vs. Akron Football Game: Cheer on the Golden fFashes as they play against their long-time rivals, the Akron Zips! Also, don’t miss the crowning of this year’s homecoming court!

Location: Dix Stadium Time: 3:30 p.m.

For more details on the events, how to RSVP and the different fees for events and tailgating groups, click here.

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.