This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

With the holiday season upon us you might be getting cash from relatives and suddenly the urge to splurge on the first cute top you see is great. I know, I feel it all the time. But, sometimes you must contain that urge and forget about that cute top in order to save your money. Sometimes I get the urge to spend money on a cute skirt I know that doesn’t go with anything in my closet, so it will sit there for weeks, sometimes months, until I buy a matching top. But I have learned to control myself and I can teach you too.

1. Start with the basics

I have learned to restrict myself from splurging on cute, unique tops and buying basic ones. This is because you can wear basics with anything! Basics includes solid color pieces of garments, including tops, bottoms and outerwear. Not only are basics inexpensive, but you can pair them with practically anything in your closet, whether it is a sparkly mini skirt or a bright yellow jacket. You can shop for inexpensive basics at stores such as Charlotte Russe, Zara or H&M.

2. Don’t focus on trends

A good way to make your cash go a long way is to not focus on trends. For college students, we typically shop in the junior market, which has a trend life-span of only three months. So, why go big on a trend that will go out of style in three months when you can spend a little more on a piece that accommodates more to your personal style. Finding your personal style is a great way to filter out which clothes to buy and which clothes to put back on the rack.

3. Swap and Style

Pairing up clothes you already own is a great way to make the most of your wardrobe and save your money. My friends think I own tons of garments, when, in fact, I am just really good at mixing and matching. In fact, some of my best outfits come from when I swap and style. I gather inspiration anywhere from my classmates to magazines to social media. You just might be surprised by what outfits you can put together just by looking at home. And you can pull your outfit together by getting some cute accessories to top of the outfit.

I hope this article gave you some good tips on how to spend wisely during this holiday season while still looking good.

Ciao everyone! My name is Marion Kpandeyenge and I am currently a freshman at Kent State University, where I am majoring in Fashion Merchandising. I have a passion for fashion, but my love for writing holds a very special place in my heart.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.