This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

F4TC founder, Krista Jordan, modeling one of the handmade scarves her business sells.

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity, Krista Jordan! Krista is a true entrepreneur, having started her own company while she was in high school. This week we caught up with the passionate designer and business woman to learn more about her company, Flight 4 the Cure

Name: Krista Jordan

Age: 21

Major(s)/Minor(s): Entrepreneurship & Marketing double major

Hometown: Medina, OH

Her Campus: What inspired you to start Flight 4 the Cure?Krista Jordan: My father passed away from Acute Myeloid Leukemia when I was young, and I always wanted to create something to honor & celebrate his life. I had a passion for making, sewing, crocheting, knitting, and creating things. I decided to take my two passions, cancer research and the art of making things, and combine them to create Flight 4 the Cure.

Krista sitting in her loving father’s lap before he passed away. This picture serves as a reminder for why she started Flight for the Cure.The angel wing shown with the image is a symbol for her guardian angel watching over and guiding her-her father.

HC: Where does the name of your company, Flight 4 the Cure, come from?KJ: F4TC’s trademark is the angel wing; I grew up with my grandma telling me my dad was my guardian angel. That has always stuck with me. I wanted to keep the angel wing in mind as well as the idea of the Cure, pertaining to cancer. Flight 4 the Cure just kind of made sense.

HC: When did you first get the idea to start your company?KJ: I had just turned 18 and was in an entrepreneurship program at my high school, The Young Entrepreneurs Academy. We spent an entire year learning from local entrepreneurs what it meant to start a business and how to do so (from writing a 30 page business plan to what to wear to meetings). We learned a lot. This is where I decided the items I had been making for my friends and family for years for free were actually worth something!

This is another example of the beautiful products F4TC make.

HC: How long has your business been running?KJ: My business has been up and running for 3 years now. We have been through our fair share of ups and downs, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. 

HC: What types of items does your business make?KJ: We create handmade accessories and hand knit, crocheted, and sewn items such as: headbands, headscarves, scarves, shawls, hats, and more! Check out what is currently available via our webpage.

Krista modeled a beautiful plum colored headband-perfect for the upcoming cooler weather Kent is so famous for!

HC: Who designs and constructs each piece?KJ: I have a team of 2 girls, Brittney Zivcsak and Ava Mancing, and myself. We are just that, a team. We all contribute ideas and designs, and we each construct those pieces. Having multiple design minds contributing helps and we are able to be open and say things like, “no that color is horrendous,” or “yes that design is absolutely amazing.” I couldn’t do it without them.  

HC: Where do you see your business in the next 5 years?KJ: Flight 4 the Cure is taking this year to minimize our locations, sales, and product line so that we can rebrand & remodel our product line. We have had a vision of what the products will look like and little did we know, it’s hard to rebrand the business all the while keeping it up and running and selling in over 20 retail locations across North East Ohio. We will have exclusive shops over this next year & launch our new products by Fall 2017. Keep a look out, we will be hinting on what we are up to via social media!

HC: What advice would you give for anyone looking to start their own business?KJ: I heard a quote when I was starting my business that stated “Entrepreneurship is like jumping out of a plane and figuring out how to rebuild it on the way down” – this is so true. You have to be quick on your feet, just don’t forget to have fun with it. A business without passion or fun is simply a product.  

Ashley Correa modeled one of F4TC’s beautifully hand made head scarves.

HC: Where can people buy your products?KJ: We are going to be having exclusive lines and pop-up sales that we launch over the next year while we work to revamp our brand. Check out our website to learn more. 

HC: What is the mission of your company?KJ: F4TC is a handmade accessory company supporting the fight against cancer through local cancer research efforts.

Krista Jordan (left) and Ashley Correa (right) model scarves and headbands made by Flight 4 the Cure. Ashley has since passed away after fighting her battle with cancer earlier this year.

You can learn more about Flight 4 The Cure and their products by following them on social media: 

Facebook: Flight4theCure

Twitter: @Flight4thecure

Instagram: @flight4thecure

Hi! My name is Sarah Waite and I am a sophomore Fashion Design and Pre-Law student. I love writing, sewing, crafting, and hanging with friends. Pinterest and Instagram addict!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.